Ciderspace News Page : Yeovil 2 Exeter 2 : Blizzard Header Lifts Glovers Off The Bottom
19 November 2011 : Yeovil 2 Exeter 2 : Blizzard Header Lifts Glovers Off The Bottom
Yeovil Town climbed off the bottom of the League One table, but they still couldn't grab all three points in a lively local derby against Exeter City this afternoon at Huish Park. The 2-2 draw was a see-saw affair, with Ed Upson opening on 69 seconds, only to find Jake Taylor equalising two minutes later. A John O'Flynn penalty put the Grecians back in front, only to find Dominic Blizzard's second half header restoring parity. Both sides hit the woodwork during an entertaining match that could have seen even more than the four goals we got.

The Glovers went into the game making two changes to the starting line-up - both tactical. Darren Purse and Conor Clifford came back into the eleven, after last weekend's FA Cup match, with Bondz N'Gala and Oli Johnson being the unlucky parties. Johnson dropped entirely out of the squad again as the sixth loan, with Jonathan Obika sneaking onto the bench for the first time since his injury in August.

The match itself got off to a crazy start, with two goals in the opening four minutes. Max Ehmer's ball up to the edge of the penalty box saw Andy Williams act as the target man, chesting the ball into the path of Ed Upson. The midfielder has already scored through three long range shots this season, and he didn't disappoint with a fourth goal, struck cleanly from the edge of the box that gave Artur Krysiak little chance of saving. 1-0 and with just 69 seconds gone, a dream start.

That lead didn't last long though. Scott Golbourne put a ball over the top of the Glovers back line, who were playing extremely high up the field. Reading striker Jake Taylor ran through, beating the offside trap and forcing Gareth Stewart off his line. Taylor beat Stewart easily in the resulting one-on-one and fired home to restore parity at 1-1.

The Glovers initially responded well, with Andy Williams and Kieran Agard shooting on goal, but it was the visitors who gradually clawed their way into the match, forcing a series of corners out of periods of pressure. They grabbed the lead on the half hour mark from the penalty spot - John O'Flynn won a header in the box, but got a barge in the back from Darren Purse after the ball had gone, and referee Mark Haywood had little hesitation in awarding the spot kick. O'Flynn dusted himself down, and shot straight down the middle, as Gareth Stewart dived to one side.

The second half opened with Yeovil creating a little more possession than they'd managed during the first period, playing the ball around better, although without too much pressure. A Troy Archibald-Henville header from a set piece saw the centre-back clip the top of the crossbar as he rose above his markers, reminding the home side that the Grecians still had ambitions to put the game out of sight.

But it was Yeovil who scored the fourth and decisive goal in the match. An Ed Upson corner was put into a crowded penalty area, and Dominic Blizzard's flicked header landed in the back of the net, via the inside of the post, to peg the game back at 2-2 and to lift the Huish Park crowd in a significant way.

Either the players were buoyed by the crowd, or the crowd were buoyed by the players, but Huish Park enjoyed one of its most noisy atmospheres of the season following that goal, and Kieran Agard's header nearly put Yeovil in front as he struck the crossbar, with the Glovers turning the screw. Paul Wotton forced Grecians keeper Artur Krysiak into an outstanding save and Kieran Agard shot wide twice during a purple patch that had the Devon side rocking on their heels.

But in this lively battle between two well-matched sides, former Glover David Noble became the third player on the pitch to hit the woodwork when his free kick took a deflection and struck the crossbar, with the ball going out for a corner kick. During the closing stages Yeovil gave away one too many free kicks away which stacked up the booking count and stopped the momentum that they'd had following the goal. In the end they had to settle for yet another draw, where at one point they'd looked threatening of the win.

Plenty of plusses and minuses out there at the end - the big plus was the result lifted Yeovil off the bottom of the table - the downside was that the gap between them and safety increased by a further point, as Chesterfield went bottom, and Wycombe Wanderers dropped below. Another plus was the atmosphere in the ground with the fans giving the players good backing throughout - a minus though was the booing of Paul Wotton being given the Sponsors Man of the Match award - an isolated bit of heckling that was out of sync with the largely positive vibes throughout the stadium. Whilst the 22nd place league position certainly points Yeovil Town upwards, ten matches since their last victory should tell Terry Skiverton that some of these draws must be turned into wins if they are to rise any higher than that spot in the table.

Link: 2011-12 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Exeter City 2.

Scorers: Ed Upson (1-0, 2 mins), Jake Taylor (1-1, 4 mins), John O'Flynn (1-2, pen, 30 mins), Dominic Blizzard (2-2, 65 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-1-2-1-2)
24. Gareth Stewart
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 25. Darren Purse 14. Max Ehmer
20. Paul Wotton
6. Dominic Blizzard 8. Edward Upson
37. Conor Clifford
7. Andrew Williams 18. Kieran Agard

4. Bondz N'Gala 9. Steve MacLean (85 mins for Andrew Williams) 15. Kerrea Gilbert 21. Gavin Massey (57 mins for Conor Clifford) 29. Jonathan Obika (74 mins for Kieran Agard)

Exeter City:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Steve Tully 5. Troy Archibald-Henville 11. Scott Golbourne 18. Danny Coles
7. Liam Sercombe 6. Richard Duffy 4. James Dunne
8. David Noble
19. John O'Flynn 35. Jake Taylor

40. Lenny Pidgeley (GK) 20. Richard Logan (72 mins for John O'Flynn) 22. Jimmy Keohane (90 mins for Jake Taylor) 24. Elliott Frear (64 mins for Richard Duffy) 26. Scot Bennett

Yeovil Bookings: Ed Upson (foul, 41 mins), Max Ehmer (foul, 81 mins), Jonathan Obika (handball, 82 mins), Paul Wotton (foul, 88 mins)

Exeter Bookings: Steve Tully (foul, 79 mins)

Referee: Mark Haywood (West Yorkshire). Assistants: Mark Pottage (Dorset) and Tim Robinson (West Sussex). Fourth Official: Andrew Bennett (Devon).

Attendance: 5,635 (including 1,612 Exeter supporters)

Share on Facebook Tweet This!

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

Other News Items For 19/11/2011

19/11/2011 : Skiverton Still Out To Better Last Season's Finish
19/11/2011 : Man of the Match Voting for Yeovil Town vs Exeter
19/11/2011 : Yeovil 2 Exeter 2 : Blizzard Header Lifts Glovers Off The Bottom
19/11/2011 : Team News For Yeovil Town vs Exeter City
19/11/2011 : Glovers Youth Lose Out At Cheltenham
19/11/2011 : Glovers Retain Adam Stansfield Trophy - Just!
19/11/2011 : MacLean Calls For League Form Turnaround

News Archives

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.
To subscribe to this News Page's RSS Feed, copy this link into your News Reader. Alternatively Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.
To see all news for January 2020 click here.
To see all news for December 2019 click here.

© Ciderspace 1999-2004
Last Updated : 17th August 2015
design by siteshape