Ciderspace News Page
News Archives

To subscribe to this News Page's RSS Feed, copy this link into your News Reader. Alternatively Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.
To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.
To see all news for February 2019 click here.
To see all news for January 2019 click here.

30 November 2004 : Paul Terry Out
Paul Terry suffered an injury on the training ground today. He was taken to Yeovil Hospital for X-rays, but thankfully no broken bones were revealed. However he will definitely be unavailable for the F.A. Cup Second Round tie with Histon this coming Saturday.

When his ankle has had a chance to settle down medical staff will be able to make a more accurate assessment of how long Paul will be out for. Just as Yeovil's injury woes appeared to be coming to an end with the whole squad available or at least back in training, The Curse strikes again. Not playing a centre-back role in training was he?

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

30 November 2004 : Williams Appeal Dismissed
From :

Gavin Williams, Yeovil Town FC
Lincoln City FC v Yeovil Town FC
Football League Two, 27 November 2004
Dismissed for "serious foul play"
Claim rejected: 3 match suspension to commence with immediate effect

SuperGav will therefore be suspended for the tie against Histon in the F.A. Cup, and the league matches against Kidderminster Harriers and Grimsby Town. He will be available if a replay against Histon is needed, otherwise his return will be at the Matchroom Stadium against Leyton Orient on the 18th of December.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

30 November 2004 : Histon Tickets Getting Close To Sell-Out
Today (Tuesday) represents the final day for season ticket holders to lay claim for an FA Cup Second Round ticket for Saturday's match at Histon. Ticket sales are believed to have gone strong with over 400 of the 500 available tickets having gone already. A sell-out seems possible during Tuesday, but if any tickets remain at the end of the day then they will go on sale to the general public at 9.00am on Wednesday 1st December.

Our guide to your day out at Histon is now available and can be found here.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

29 November 2004 : Williams Appeal Confirmed
The Football Association website confirms that the Glovers will be appealing against the sending off of Gavin Williams in this weekend's 3-1 defeat at Lincoln City.

Match referee Mark Cowburn claimed he had dismissed Williams for a two-footed challenge - something that video replays and still camera footage appears to place doubt on. At present Williams is scheduled to miss the FA Cup match against Histon along with the league matches against Kidderminster Harriers and Grimsby Town - the club will therefore hope for a response either way from the FA by Friday morning.

UPDATE 30-11-04
Glovers boss Gary Johnson has made his first comment on the news that Yeovil are to appeal against Williams' red card. "I saw that (same) challenge three or four times on keepers in highlights of games over the weekend and there wasn't even a yellow card given," he told the Western Daily Press today, adding: "The referee said it was a two-footed challenge at first and then in his report he said it was a high foot, so there is some doubt there."

Lincoln have also put in an appeal over the red card shown to defender Ben Futcher during the match. Referee Mark Cowburn has officiated in only 13 games this season, and in those games has produced a red card 6 times and a yellow card 37 times. Yeovil's disciplinary record has been excellent by anyone's standards this season with a total of 14 bookings and 1 red card from 19 games played. Before Mr Cowburn's intervention the count stood at 11 bookings, no red cards.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

28 November 2004 : Gary's Verdict on the Lincoln City Game
Glovers manager Gary Johnson wants his side to show more first half commitment after his side lost 3-1 at Lincoln City. Gary answered the following questions from the press after the game:

Qu: Gary, a defeat, but in perhaps controversial circumstances.

GJ: It was a defeat in whatever circumstances. We knew it was a game in which we had to compete in and I suppose the game swung on us having a chance to make it 1-1 where Gav just lost control of it and then a couple of seconds later we are down to ten men and 1-0 down. So that was the turning point of the game really.

Qu: How did you see the sending off? It seemed pretty harsh.

GJ: I don't know, I'm fed up with having to talk about those sort of decisions that cost people. I just think that people have to be very very sure when they stop peoples livelyhoods by sending people off. You've got to be absolutely sure, whether it was us or whether it was them, I think referees have got to be sure. I didn't see it as a vicious thing to do. I didn't think it was vicious. I think he lost control and he had to go for it again. The goalkeeper was brave, Gav has gone in and he's got sent off which has mucked the game up really from our point of view. Then the referee has evened it up which some people do - they're only looking for the next little thing so they can even it up and when he evened it up we had an even game. But we've lost, Lincoln have done very well, they've played their game and we didn't quite cope in the first half. Having said that I felt we played some decent football and we hung in there during the second half.

Qu: The body blow after the sending off was that if you could have gone in at half time just 1-0 down then you could have had a chance to reorganise.

GJ: Yes, that was the body blow of course, but that's the way it goes sometimes. We're still one point clear of Lincoln at the moment and they are going to be there or thereabouts playing that game. It's a percentage game and they've got some big 'uns and they get onto things. But I thought we did quite well in combatting that. They played with three up front which is going to win them some games and lose them some games. All we can do is see where both teams are at the end of the season.

Qu: Then in the second half, the side showed their spirit because you certainly had the better of the game, albeit that you went three down.

GJ: Well you've got to go and get the game back and you've got to score at least two goals. So obviously you're going to leave yourself short at the back sometimes. Credit to Lincoln, they still played with three up front even though they were down to ten men. I thought we showed a bit of quality and fight at that point. There were a few chances including one that came off the line. We had a few corners and a few shots so for the neutral it would have been a decent game. But we're not neutral so we're disappointed. Having said that we're still third in the league and we've got to keep the faith.

Qu: Are desperately disappointed with the performance or are you taking the plusses out of it?

GJ: I was disappointed with the first half in that some players didn't show quite enough fight. If we are going to win the league then we need that sort of commitment and it's got to be a natural commitment and not just because I've asked for it.

Qu: So is that something you're going to have to look at over the next couple of weeks?

GJ: Well it's something that you have got to look at for when you come up against teams like Lincoln. You've got to stand up and be counted. But let's not go overboard, we've had a great run but it's broken down today. Now we've got to go on another good run and we're still in an automatic promotion position. So we mustn't go overboard. The players went over to have a clap over there, generally our supporters are fantastic and most of them were, but there were maybe a couple of hundred who had left their seats before we came over. They've got to stick with it as well and not get too disappointed over one defeat.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

27 November 2004 : Game turns on ref's decisions - again
Yeovil Town suffered a setback to their League Two campaign at Sincil Bank this afternoon, hosts Lincoln City winning 3-1. Yet again it was decisions made by the officials that were instrumental to the outcome of the match, the Glovers feeling they were hard done by at crucial moments, particularly in the dismissal of Gavin Williams just before half-time and the disallowing of a Terry Skiverton effort in the second half, the linesman insisting the ball had not crossed the line though Yeovil's players claimed that it had.

For all of the Glovers frustration with the officials it must be said that Lincoln did have the better of the first half, their direct tactics giving the Glovers defence plenty of problems. The Imps went ahead on 30 minutes, Marcus Richardson the scorer. Gavin Wiliams and Scott Guyett both had shots cleared from off the line but the game really turned on an incident just before half-time. Gavin Williams was red-carded after he was ajudged to have gone in dangerously on Lincoln keeper Alan Marriott after losing control of the ball in front of goal, but most observers seemed to agree that the young Welshman was very unfortunate to even be booked, never mind shown red. And as often happens after a setback, a minute later the Glovers were doubly punished when a defensive error allowed in Gary Taylor-Fletcher to make it 2-0 at the break.

Yeovil were much improved after half-time but it was no great surprise to see a second red card in the match. Lincoln defender Ben Futcher unquestionably fouled Bartosz Tarachulski just outside the penalty box, but Yeovil's Polish striker appeared to be heading away from goal as well as there being another Lincoln defender between the incident and the goal - the feeling at the ground was that referee Mark Cowburn had 'evened things up' in acknowledgment that he was overly harsh in sending-off Williams in the first half. The Glovers pressed forward and substitute Terry Skiverton thought he had pulled a goal back when his effort was cleared from on or around the goal-line, but Mr Cowburn said no. With Yeovil trying to push forward gaps were beginning to appear at the back and Marcus Richardson popped up again to make it 3-0 with 10 minutes left. Terry Skiverton did make one count a couple of minutes later to bring the score back to 3-1, but all in all this wasn't the best day's work the Glovers have ever enjoyed and a disappointing way to end a good run of results.

Final score: Lincoln City 3 - 1 Yeovil Town.

Scunthorpe beat Shrewsbury 3-1 at Glanford Park today to stretch their lead at the top of League Two, the Iron on 38 points from 19 games played. Second-placed Swansea surprisingly lost 1-3 at home Bury to stay on 33 points, 2 ahead of the 3rd-placed Glovers. Leyton Orient remain 4th on goal difference behind Yeovil after their 1-0 win at Mansfield and Lincoln move up to 5th on 30 points, 1 point behind the O's.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

26 November 2004 : Charity Raffle For Yeovil Shirt
Pst........wanna signed Yeovil shirt for a quid, guv?

As part of a fund raising enterprise for Cancer Research that has involved walking the Inca Trail various items are being raffled to raise additional money. Fans have the opportunity to acquire a signed Yeovil Town shirt donated by Lee Johnson.

Sara Kelly will be selling raffle tickets at £1.00 a time at the next two home games - Kidderminster Harriers and Grimsby Town. She'll be in the marquee before and after the games, as well as in her usual place on the Westland Terrace (just to the left of the goal about four or five rows back).

The chance of a Yeovil Town shirt for a £1.00, plus the satisfaction of helping a good cause, win or lose. You know it makes sense.......

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

26 November 2004 : Youth Cup Tie Date Set
The Yeovil Town Under 18's Third Round fixture versus Luton Town Under 18's in the F.A. Youth Cup will be on Wednesday 15th December. Kick-off is 7.00 p.m. at Huish Park.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

25 November 2004 : Bees Stung
In an excellent performance the Yeovil Town Under 18 side demolished Brentford 4-0 in the Second Round proper of the F.A. Youth Cup. The draw for the Third Round has already been made (see news item for November 22nd) and Yeovil go forward to a home tie against Luton Town.

Shaun Smith opened the scoring on 30 minutes with an unstoppable drive from fully thirty yards, and on 37 minutes Sam Croft headed home to give Yeovil a 2-0 lead at the break. In the second half it was more of the same. Smith scored his second with a looping header over the opposition keeper two minutes after the restart, and just past the hour mark Dale Williams rounded off the win with a brilliant solo run from the half-way line. Fouled twice on the way, then brought down by the keeper, he scrambled to his feet and tucked the ball away.

Ciderspace match report

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

24 November 2004 : Histon Ticketing News
The FA Cup Round Two tie between Histon and Yeovil Town on Saturday 4th December has been brought forward to a 1.30 p.m. kick-off for reasons best known to the authorities.

We understand that 500 tickets have been made available to away fans.

Tickets will go on sale to season ticket holders only from Sunday 28th November, 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 noon, then on Monday 29th from 9.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m., and Tuesday 30th from 9.00 a.m. - 7.00 p.m.

Any remaining tickets will go on general sale from 9.00 a.m. on Wednesday December 1st.

As to prices - neither Histon nor Yeovil seem inclined to publicise this information, but adult tickets are £10.00 and concessions £5.00.

Various reports from supporters talking to the ticket office suggest that those season ticket holders queuing will receive priority over those who phone or post their applications. Not quite sure why we have discrimination by post code, but there you go. If you live one or two hundred miles from Yeovil, going to every away game for years to support the team, it cuts no ice when some fans who perhaps travel a couple of times a year but have the foresight to live in the town, suddenly fancy a trip. For exiles the best plan is probably to pass your season ticket to a friend or relative still living locally and have them queue for you.......

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

24 November 2004 : Gary's verdict on the Darlington game
Glovers boss Gary Johnson answered the following questions from the press after last night's 1-0 win over Darlington at Huish Park:

Well Gary congratulations, you're through to Round 2. It was a hard night though wasn't it? Your players had to work really hard out there?

"Well, you have to work hard in the FA Cup, teams arent going to come here and let you have it all your own way and to be fair we were as poor in the first half as we were good in the second. My voice has always gone after a game but its gone a bit more than usual today because at half time we had to say a few home truths and I felt we had a chance of going out the cup if we didnt liven ourselves up and play our game which is a quick passing and running game. Once we did that we looked a terrific standard above."

Does it sometimes puzzle you as a manager that the players need to be reminded of such things at half time?

"No, it happens every week at every other club. Managers have to earn their corn sometimes otherwise it would be an easy job, you'd just sit there and let them get on with it. Sometimes other teams don't make it easy and sometimes referees dont make it easy, I thought there was a lot of free-kicks today that didn't allow the game to flow. That's a little bit the fault of the players and a little bit the fault of the officials, but we had to keep going and we knew that it would be a bit of quality that wins the game and I thought we showed a lot of quality in the second half and really could have come out 2 or 3 goals up."

Talking about Darren Way, its his 200th apperance for the club tonight, what a goal as well!

"Fantastic goal, nobody works harder on his shooting from outside the box and it's the FA Cup, if you'd written the script beforehand you would have said Darren Way on his 200th appearance is going to get the winning goal in the first round of the cup and I'm sure you've all got that as your headline already but there it is, that's the beauty of this cup competition."

What was the problem you saw in the first half? A lack of width or commitment, what did you see?

"Let's leave it to a lack of, full stop. If I'm going out the cup I want to be going out the cup playing our game and if were not good enough at our game then we deserve to be out the cup, so I didn't want to go out playing a different game than what were used to. So the boys got it together and that's credit to them and in the end we won the game quite comfortably."

But the second half as you say was much improved, the crowd got a bit more involved, a fiesty cup tie wasnt it?

"The crowd are brilliant aren't they, but they also need our players doing things that excite them and they didn't do that in the first half, but second half we just about gave value for money."

Any injury problems as you look towards Lincoln on Saturday?

"We had a situation with Colin Miles where at the start of the game he was ill, he wasn't very well so we decided to put Skivo and Roy O'Brien on the bench because we felt that maybe Plucky wouldn't last, but to be fair to him he did last but he wasn't feeling very well at the end and he was running on empty right at the death there."

Of course now you have Histon in the second round and it's a great tie for you personally?

"Well it is a great tie for me, as I say it was my second home to Yeovil, I lived up there for 15 years and I played for them a couple of times. I know the management team, I know what they can get up to so I will be prepared, and a lot of their players are players I know about from my Cambridge days and I've got a lot of friends up there so they were looking forward to playing us and now we're looking forward to playing them."

Transcribed by Richard Gibson

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

24 November 2004 : Youth Team Look For Another Cup Shock
Yeovil Town's Under 18s side take on Brentford tonight at Huish Park in the second round of the FA Youth Cup, kick-off 7.00pm. The Yeovil College stand is open to spectators for the match with tickets priced at four pounds for adults and two pounds for concessions.

The young Glovers are fresh from providing the shock of the first round when they defeated Swindon Town 2-0 with goals from Dale Williams and Andy Holmes.

Youth manager Stuart Housley said of that match: "We played fantastic at Swindon for 90 minutes. It was probably the best result and the best performance that I've seen from a Youth Team since I've been involved with them at the football club. I was really proud of the boys and their work ethic and the Yeovil will not to lose certainly shone. I certainly made a thing about the famous Yeovil Town giant killers reputation of the first team and asked them if we can reproduce it for the Youth Team. Gary Johnson takes great pride in how we perform and him and Steve Thompson were the first to ring me when they heard about the result because they were ecstatic about it."

Stuart pointed out that like the previous round, Yeovil Town are very much the underdogs with Brentford operating with a full time academy side adding: "Our Yeovil Town youth side only train once a week and we are going to be up against a Brentford side who train every day, so we are the underdogs again. But we seem to like that, given the Swindon game! We'll be trying our hardest to get through to the next round."

And he called upon the Yeovil public to come along and support the Youth Team for the match explaining: "Hopefully we will get enough people along to watch us play Brentford and if we are lucky enough or perform well enough to beat Brentford then you’re in the Third Round and you might get one of the big clubs away which would be fantastic for the boys."

"We’re hoping for a big crowd to support the boys and I’ll be really disappointed if we don’t perform well," Stuart added. "We're looking forward to the game and we will be organised and we'll try and be as fit as we can. We'll give it our best shot and try and keep Yeovil Town's name in the headlines. Most of the boys have never played in front of a big crowd before, so if we could get up to a thousand people out there and the atmosphere would be great and I'm sure the boys would respond to the spectators if they turned up in numbers."

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

23 November 2004 : Weasel marks his 200th game in style!
A 56th minute Darren Way goal was the ultimate difference between Yeovil Town and Darlington at Huish Park tonight in a game in which the two main sides on the pitch had to rise above an appalling display by the third team in action - the officials. Referee Phil Joslin and his assistants contrived to get virtually every major decision in the game wrong and with both teams and both sets of supporters becoming more and more frustrated with the levels of inconsistency and ineptitude on display it was to the credit of all concerned that a major blow-up during the match was avoided, though more by luck than judgement at times. If a player was to perform as poorly as the officials did tonight then they would be dropped for the next game - one can only hope that an assessor was present at Huish Park and that appropriate action against the officials will be taken, though we won't be holding our breath.

The tone was set in the first minute when a Darren Way cross from near the by-line was headed home by Bartosz Tarachulski, only for the 'goal' to be inexplicably ruled out by the assistant for 'offside'. That decision set the standard for the rest of the half, a half in which the Glovers began very well but with the whistle blowing every few seconds play soon began to become less fluent and more bitty, with chances few and far between. The nadir of decision-making was reached just before half-time when Bartosz Tarachulski had his legs taken away by a Darlo defender on the edge of the box - only for Mr Joslin to award a free-kick for the visitors and book the big Pole for diving, a truly incredible decision, and one which ensured the officials as a team left the field at the break to a crescendo of boos and criticism.

The Glovers were last out of the dressing room after half-time, presumably Gary Johnson had been preaching a sermon to his team along the lines of getting back to passing the ball, playing football and playing to the whistle despite the officials worst efforts. If so, it worked. Yeovil were a different side after the break, the move leading to Darren Way's goal in particular being a thing of beauty full of one touch passing, clever running off the ball and finally the piece-de-resistance - an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box from the man making his 200th appearance and who epitomises all that is good about Gary Johnson's team. The Glovers weren't able to add to the score - not for the want of trying - but at the other end Darlington offered very little threat, the much-vaunted partnership of Alun Armstrong and Clyde Wijnhard being kept well in check by Colin Miles and Scott Guyett. A comfortable win in the end for Yeovil, despite the officials worst efforts.

Final score: Yeovil Town 1 - 0 Darlington.

The Glovers now go on to play Histon of the Southern Premier League on Saturday 4th December, 1.30pm kick-off according to the Cambridgeshire club, though this has still to be confirmed by Yeovil. Histon have announced that 500 tickets will be made available for Yeovil supporters, no news of pricing or distribution details available as yet.

In other FA Cup news there was a shock result in Cumbria this evening when non-league Carlisle United were held to a 0-0 draw by Bristol Rovers. Normal service was eventually resumed however with the gallant Gas being dumped out of the Cup by an extra-time winner from the Conference outfit. Rotten luck Rovers.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

23 November 2004 : Yeovil v Darlington preview
Yeovil Town face League Two rivals Darlington at Huish Park tonight in a replay of their FA Cup round one match which finished all square in a thrilling 3-3 draw. Yeovil have no new injury worries and the starting XI could well be unchanged from Saturday's 3-1 win over Southend. In contrast, Darlington will still be without midfield playmaker Craig Hignett; Stephen Thomas, former Middlesboro defender Curtis Fleming and Craig Russell will also miss the game.

Darlington collapsed to a 0-3 home loss to Lincoln City over the weekend, leading Quakers boss Dave Hodgson to claim that all Yeovil have to do to win this evening is turn up, but Glovers manager Gary Johnson poured cold water over that theory as quickly as he could: "I’ll say the same as I said when we clashed in Darlington ten days ago, this will be a difficult tie for us," Johnson told the official site yesterday.

“They proved how dangerous they can be with their three goals just as we did with ours, so the tie is very evenly balanced. Having said that sometimes form comes into it and if does then we seem to be the form team of the two. I’m sure though that Dave Hodgson, who has been saying quite a lot about his players lately, will be looking to use whatever he has said to gee up his players in this important match. We know how important this game is to us and everybody at this football club and we would like to get into that second round tie up at Histon so I’m sure it will be a hotly contested cup-tie."

And after some uncharacteristically subdued atmospheres at Huish Park recently the gaffer went on to appeal to supporters to really get behind the team tonight, saying: "Your support, as always, is magnificent and it is definitely worth an extra man to us so if you can keep giving your support to our players with that fantastic Huish Park roar I’m sure it will provide yet another psychological barrier for Darlington to overcome. So come on you 12th man, you can influence a match!”

Tonight's match is also a significant one for Darren Way. Assuming the midfielder is picked it will be his 200th competitive game for the club, an impressive milestone in this age of short contracts and quick transfers. The tigerish Way - who rejoices in the nickname 'Weasel' - made his debut from the subs bench in the 2-0 win over Kettering in the Conference 4 years ago, and a read of the match report that day shows how things have changed for both Way and the club since that time.

"I didn't know much about him when I arrived - obviously I knew of him - but the minute I came to the club I could see him being one of the players that had the attitude and the ambition to stay with me," Gary Johnson told the Western Daily Press today. "Two hundred games is a tremendous effort. I don't normally pick out individuals but when they reach a landmark I can and it's a credit to him as he has been a great player, a great lad and a great servant to Yeovil Town Football Club."

"I've enjoyed every minute of my time at Yeovil." Way told the WDP. "We've been successful every season, we've never really struggled, and it's been great to be a part of the success. Everyone here wants to play at the highest level possible, and I'm no different. We don't take anything for granted and all the players know we've got to keep doing the business on the pitch."

Weasel is expected to captain the side tonight in the probable absence of Terry Skiverton. "We'll have to perform well to win," he said, "but we want to get past Darlington and then Histon. We know what the rewards of reaching the third round can be."

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

22 November 2004 : Ticketing For The Leyton Orient Game
Further to the earlier article on Ciderspace regarding ticketing for the Leyton Orient match at Brisbane Road on Saturday 18th December, tickets are currently available for season ticket holders only.

It is expected that only 500 tickets will be issued to Yeovil Town supporters whilst Brisbane Road is being redeveloped and thus it is doubtful whether tickets will reach general sale. However, any remaining tickets will be sold from Saturday 11th December. Prices are 16 pounds for adults and 10 pounds for concessions and are for an all-seated section of the ground.

A reminder that from one hour prior to tomorrow night's FA Cup replay against Darlington, only tickets for the evening game will be sold. This is to minimise congestion at the ticket office during the hour leading up to the game.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

22 November 2004 : F.A. Youth Cup Third Round Draw
The draw for the F.A. Youth Cup Third Round was made today. If Yeovil Town defeat Brentford on Wednesday night they have another home tie, against Luton Town.

The full draw is as follows :

1 Sheffield United v Millwall
2 Liverpool v Farnborough Town or Wealdstone
3 Barnsley or Hartlepool United v Boston United or Huddersfield Town
4 Tottenham Hotspur v Nottingham Forest
5 Crewe Alexandra v Stockport County or Walsall
6 Ipswich Town v Portsmouth
7 Newcastle United v Blackpool or Chester City
8 Queens Park Rangers v Southampton
9 Sheffield Wednesday v Thackley or Port Vale or Cambridge United
10 Bristol City or Sutton United v Rotherham United
11 Wigan Athletic v Leeds United
12 Fulham v Birmingham City
13 Wolverhampton Wanderers v Reading
14 Colchester United v Chelsea
15 Burnley v Norwich City
16 Aston Villa v Wycombe Wanderers or Dover Athletic
17 Lye Town or Burscough v Preston North End
18 Arsenal v Crystal Palace
19 Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion
20 Manchester United v Stoke City
21 Sunderland v Leicester City
22 Gillingham v West Ham United
23 Redbridge or Bristol Rovers v Middlesbrough
24 Derby County v Grimsby Town
25 Watford v Coventry City
26 Plymouth Argyle v Milton Keynes Dons or Darlington
27 Bolton Wanderers v Blackburn Rovers
28 Haringey Borough or Woking v Brighton & Hove Albion
29 Hull City or Notts County v Cardiff City
30 YEOVIL TOWN or Brentford v Luton Town
31 Everton v Charlton Athletic
32 Leyton Orient v Shrewsbury Town

All ties to be played by Saturday 18 December 2004. Kick-off times will be 7.45 p.m. for midweek matches and 3.00 p.m. for weekend matches unless otherwise agreed.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

21 November 2004 : Action Photos From Rochdale vs Yeovil
One of the missing Action Photo Galleries has been completed. Relating to October's 2-1 away defeat at Rochdale, over 50 photos have been added to the on-line galleries and you can find them all here. Alternatively, view the full gallery index here.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

21 November 2004 : Gary's Verdict on the Southend Game
Glovers manager Gary Johnson believes his side beat one of the better League Two sides when they won 3-1 against Southend United. Speaking to the press after the game, Gary answered the following questions:

Qu: “Gary that didn't look like 3-1 at one stage did it?"

GJ: Well funnily enough in the first half it we looked to be going in the right direction. We were 1-0 up and really had a few chances and played some great football - no doubt about that. Really we deserved to probably be a little bit more ahead. But then we had the scare with the free-kick. Their fellow just got his head onto it and he did well to get there. But the boys are showing their quality and their character in getting the game back the way we did. We've beaten a very good team and Southend showed in bits how good they can be. If they'd have won the game they could have leapfrogged us so that's a big game for us in this league. Southend have been around a long time at this level so we were pleased to perform like that against them.

Qu: “You praise your players but you must take some of the credit. You made that double substitution at 1-1 and it did inspire things to happen"

GJ: Well as I always say, if you are going to bring subs on they've got to affect games. If you've got people on the line like Gally, Lindy, Caceres, O'Brien and Collis, you know you can change the game back into your favour if that's what you need to do. The last thing the left back wants is Gally coming on for the last 20 minutes. We've got players that are good enough to find the ball that puts Gally in but it was a fantastic run and ball for the third goal. He does that everytime he comes off the bench at the moment so Bartoz is always pleased to see Gally warming up!

Qu: "Scott Guyett made it 2-1 and that must have been a marvellous feeling for him"

GJ: Well I'm sure it was and the way he celebrated, it certainly was a marvellous feeling for him. But he had a chance before that we thought we'd have liked him to have stuck in. Then he showed his goal scoring prowess and tucked the second one in. I'm pleased for him because he's been out a long time and credit to him he's worked very hard and deserves his place in the team and his goal.

Qu: “And for long spells it represented two teams at the top, fairly evenly balanced"

GJ: Yeah, honestly Southend are a good side and I did say to yourself and other people this week that this is a big game for us and a big test for us. I've seen them a couple of times and they got beaten 3-0 against Luton. I saw that game and Southend gave as good as they got, and it was only the goals that were the difference. So todays result of 3-1 is a real good result for us.

Qu: “The real icing was Bartoz's stooped header from fairly close range"

GJ: He had a good game again didn't he? It's down to his extra training and I've got to thank my dad who put his back right. This was about 4 weeks ago. Bartoz had been working in training without the knowledge he had a bad back so we put his back back in to enable him to train more which makes him a lot fitter, and the big Pole looks decent.

Qu: “As you say that, the result looks like it has done the power of good looking at the queues for tickets for Tuesday's game (against Darlington in the FA Cup)"

GJ: Well it was a good crowd today. Our crowds are gradually getting bigger which is great especially on a day like today which was very wet and very cold which is why we are all still shivering in here. To come out winners, that keeps peoples enthusiasm up and I'm sure the gates will keep going up and up. We've got a massive game on Tuesday, we'd like to stay in the cup and then we've got Histon to look forward to eventually. But at the moment we've got Tuesday's game to look forward to.

Qu: “You say that in very confident fashion, you feel you are going to go through?"

GJ: No, I didnt say it like that. Darlington are on Tuesday and that is another big game for us. We know who we've got in the next round so we've got to produce that sort of performance in the next game and then we will move on to Histon. But we'll need the crowd on Tuesday because our crowd as I've always said is as good as another player to us.

[Transcription by Richard Gibson.]

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

20 November 2004 : Late, late show leads to Shrimpers net loss
Yeovil Town were made to work hard at a wet and cold Huish Park today by an in-form Southend United side, but goals from Phil Jevons, Scott Guyett and Bartosz Tarachulski were enough to give the Glovers the points and to consolidate their 3rd place in the league table.

There was some speculation before the game over who Glovers boss Gary Johnson would pick to play up front out of strikers Andrejs Stolcers, Bartosz Tarachulski and Phil Jevons. In the event those who had forecast all three playing were proved correct, Tarachulski and Jevons starting up front and Stolcers taking the right wing role. Yeovil dominated the first half but only had the one goal advantage to show for it by the break, a 42nd minute Phil Jevons header - his 13th league goal of the season so far - the difference between the sides. The visitors put Yeovil under a lot of pressure in the second half, Adam Barrett heading home a deserved equaliser on 62 minutes. To their credit the Glovers fought back well, with late goals from Scott Guyett and Bartosz Tarachulski sealing the win, even if the 3-1 final score may have been slightly flattering to the hosts.

Southend's cause wasn't helped by the 82nd minute sending off for a second bookable offence of midfielder Kevin Maher. Over-fussy referee Mick Fletcher did not have a good day at the office overall, producing 8 yellow cards in a game that while being competitive was never as dirty as the card count might suggest.

Final score: Yeovil Town 3 - 1 Southend United.

A very important 3 points for the Glovers at the end of the day then and against an in-form team who looked as good if not better than any other team to visit Huish Park so far this season. Elsewhere in the division the lead at the top of the table changed hands yet again: Scunthorpe brushed aside the challenge of Bristol Rovers with what can only be described as contemptous ease, winning 3-0 at the Mem amidst angry scenes with disgruntled Gasheads calling for the removal of manager Ian Atkins. This morning's leader's Swansea were meanwhile showing how NOT to do it at struggling Shrewsbury: With two men sent off before half-time the Jacks were aleways going to be up against it, the Shrews going on to win 2-0. Scunthorpe go top on 35 points, Swansea drop to 2nd place on 33, with the Glovers 3rd on 31. Despite contriving to lose 2-1 at home to Wycombe, Leyton Orient remain 4th on 28 points. Tuesday night's FA Cup replay opponents Darlington suffered a setback at home to another in-form side, Lincoln City, the Imps winning 3-0. Yeovil visit Sincil Bank to play Lincoln in the league next Saturday.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

19 November 2004 : Jevo back to face Shrimpers
League Two's leading scorer Phil Jevons is back in the Glovers squad to face 5th-placed Southend United at Huish Park tomorrow afternoon after missing last weekend's 3-3 FA Cup draw at Darlington with a hamstring strain. Jevons will almost certainly start the match, with Glovers boss Gary Johnson facing something of a selection dilemma as to who starts alongside the former Grimsby and Everton striker up front. Latvian international Andrejs Stolcers is the man who has been partnering Jevons up until now, but Bartosz Taruchulski has now scored 3 goals in 2 games - a powerful argument for his inclusion.

"It is good to have all your strikers firing," Johnson said to the Western Gazette yesterday. "Andrejs had some opportunities against Darlington but did not take them whereas Bartosz did but people know me and know that a decision on our line-up will not be made until Friday as there is still a lot of football to be played in training.

"It is always nice to have this sort of selection headache and that is why we have a big squad. We have different strikers with different qualities and it is up to me to use them when I think they will have the most impact. Bartosz's display at Darlington was that of a quality, old-fashioned centre-forward. He won his headers, was powerful, caused them problems and deserved his two goals."

In other injury news, club captain Terry Skiverton has now returned to training but is not expected to feature tomorrow and Adam Lockwood may also be seeing light at the end of the tunnel at last after being out for virtually all of the season so far with a knee injury: "Skivo is back training now and Locky has recently had an extra injection in his knee to help with the healing process and we will just have to wait and see how that settles down," Johnson said yesterday. "Scott Guyett came into the first team with very little match fitness after his recent injury but we shall have to just assess how Skivo is over the next few weeks."

"Glenn Schmidt (Yeovil physio) keeps all the lads who are out injured very fit. He works on everything he can except for obvious things which can affect the injury. But match fitness is much different and ideally Skivo should play a couple of reserve-team games before returning. Losing Liam [Fontaine] was disappointing because he did very well for us but I am more than happy at the moment with what I have got in terms of central-defenders. Colin Miles has been unfortunate with injuries this season but he is now ready and we also have Roy O'Brien as well as Scott. The great thing is that at least all our players are doing something. There is nothing worse for a manager than having a player totally immobilised through injury for a long time."

For Southend, a mere point behind the Glovers in the league table, defenders Spencer Prior and Andy Edwards could return after recent injuries, but winger Jimmy Corbett and forward Michael Husbands are both ruled out. Also out, and for the forseeable future at that, is highly-rated midfielder Jay Smith, who damaged his achilles in training last week.

To add a little spice to the match, former Glovers target Lawrie Dudfield should feature in the Shrimpers squad. Striker Dudfield, who rejected Yeovil's contract offer last season to join Southend, told the Essex Evening Echo that he had 'no regrets' over his decision: "I went down there to talk to them before signing for Southend," he said yesterday. "Yeovil are a good club and a good team, with a very professional set up but I'm really happy at Blues. It wasn't just for footballing reasons that I came here either, my girlfriend is pregnant and Yeovil is further away from our home. I don't believe in looking back anyway and I'm just concentrating on doing my best for Southend."

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

17 November 2004 : Leyton Orient Tickets
Tickets for the game at the Matchroom Stadium, Brisbane Road, on December 18th will go on sale from 9.00 a.m. on Monday 22nd November. Tickets for the away areas are only available through the Yeovil Town Ticket Office, and can NOT be bought through Leyton Orient.

Prices are £16.00 adults, £10.00 all concessions. Exiles (or locals) buying by phone on 01935 847888 will be charged an additional £0.95 handling and postage fee. Season Ticket Holders only until Friday 10th December, 5.00 p.m.

With the severe reduction in capacity at the Matchroom this season occasioned by the stadium redevelopment, and the good away following the Glovers usually generate for games in the London area, the advice from Ciderspace is buy early. Orient have sold out a number of games this season, and we would expect this fixture to follow suit.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

16 November 2004 : Young Glovers Defeat Manor Farm
A young-looking Yeovil Town side defeated Bristol Manor Farm 2-0 tonight in the Second Round of the Somerset County Cup. A goal in each half saw the Glovers through in what was a comfortable match played in rainy conditions.

Four of the most experienced heads in the side ensured the passage through to the next round. Assistant manager Steve Thompson continued his trend for providing assists when his cheeky backheel was seized on by Andy Lindegaard who put Yeovil into a 15th minute 1-0 lead.

Bristol Manor Farm stayed in the match for the whole distance though, defending resolutely, and it wasn't until the 90th minute when they finally lost the tie. Adrian Caceres combined brilliantly with Yemi Odubade as the two headed through the home side's half, and the result was an easy finish for Odubade and a passage into the next round.

Two (count 'em!) match reports are now on-line. The starting line-up was as follows:

Line-up: 13. Danny Barker, 2. Andy Lindegaard, 3. Charlie Welch, 4. Roy O'Brien, 5. Greg Squibb, 6. Steve Thompson, 7. Gavin McCullum, 8. Nicolas Mirza, 9. Yemi Odubade, 10. Adrian Caceres, 11. Dale Williams. Subs: 12 Shaun Smith, 14 Andy Holmes, 15 Tim Pearse

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

16 November 2004 : Ibe, Reed extend loan spells
Striker Kezie Ibe and left-sided defender Steve Reed have extended their loans spells at Tiverton and Forest Green Rovers respectively by another month.

"Both the lads will be able to stay out for an extra month because we have got immediate recall on them both if we should need them back here," Glovers boss Gary Johnson commented yesterday. "At the same time they are getting matches - so it suits all parties at the moment," Johnson added.

The Glovers Youth Team's 2nd round FA Youth Cup match v Brentford has been brought forward 24 hours - the match will now kick off at Huish Park at 7pm, Wednesday 24th November. Admisson prices are £4 adults, £2 concessions/children.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

15 November 2004 : Bristol Manor Farm Travel Directions
Yeovil Town Reserves travel to Bristol Manor Farm tomorrow for a Somerset County Cup Second Round match that kicks off at The Creek in Portway at 7.45pm. The line-up is traditionally a mix of fringe players and the pick of the Under 18s side. Directions to the ground are as follows:

Bristol Manor Farm F.C. , The Creek, Portway, Bristol - Directions

Manor Farm is an easy enough ground to find but, can be difficult to get into. There is also limited parking at the ground. The social club is good. Arrive as early as possible due to limited parking.

From M5 Junc. 18:

Exit M5 at this junction. Follow signs Bristol & Airport (A4). At large traffic light controlled roundabout take 2nd exit Signposted Bristol A4 & City Centre. You will now join a Dual Carriageway (known locally as the “Portway”).

Follow the “Portway” for approx. 2.4/2.5 miles. Bristol Manor Farm is on your right hand side. You will only be able to see a sign as the ground is on a very low level from the Dual Carriageway.

Now, here is the difficult bit. Travelling in this direction, you cannot turn into the Creek. There is a road directly opposite on the left called “Riverleaze”. It is a small road but, you may be able to park up there. You will then have the problem of crossing the busy Dual Carriageway to get into ground.

Alternatively, you can drive to the other side of the “Portway” by driving a further 0.3 miles past the ground and turn left into “Roman Way”. In 0.2 miles branch left & follow road to bottom (T-Junction). Turn left (signpost Avonmouth, Shirehampton) into Branksome Rd. Go under the bridge & road turns sharp left. This will bring you back up to join the “Portway”. In approx. 0.2 miles around the bend is the entrance to Bristol Manor Farm F.C. (very sharp turn into narrow entrance).

From Central Bristol:

Follow signs A4, Avonmouth, and Gloucester. Until you join the A4 at the Cumberland Basin road complex. Just follow signs for A4 & M5 Avonmouth. You will join the “Portway” which follows the Avon Gorge Follow the River for approx.2.8 miles BMF is on the left (as above), Do not turn left where it is signposted “Stoke Bishop”, carry on around the bend of the “Portway” to the Creek.

Parking Note
It may be possible to Park on the grass verges of the Portway near the ground. Night matches could be OK for this but, I would not take the chance myself. Bristol has a “we really hate the car” policy. If you are going to park on these verges, check with officials of Bristol Manor Farm for advice.

[Directions and information provided by Mad Mal.]

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

15 November 2004 : Darlington ticket news
Tickets for the FA Cup Round One replay v Darlington at Huish Park on Tues 23rd November, 7.45pm kick off, have now gone on sale from the Huish Park ticket office.

Season ticket holders have until 5.30pm this Saturday to reserve their seats for the replay.

The ticket office is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, with late night opening to 7pm this Thursday 18th Nov and 7pm on Monday 22nd Nov. It's not clear whether tickets will be on sale on the day of the game, but we assume they will be as no announcement has been made to say otherwise. Darlington tickets are also on sale up until 2pm this Saturday 20th Nov, and from 4.45pm to 5.30pm after the home match v Southend on Saturday. Alternatively call 01935 847888 to order your tickets over the phone.

To no-one's surprise, the reserve-team fixture v Bournemouth Reserves set for Wed 24th November has been postponed. With the FA Cup replay the day before and the Youth Team's FA Youth Cup 2nd round game v Brentford arranged for Thurs 25th November then the reserve fixture was inevitably going to be one game too many for the squad in too short a space of time. A new date for the fixture has yet to be arranged.

And speaking of the Youth Team's FA Youth Cup run, Glovers boss Gary Johnson has been praising the side for their achievement in knocking out Swindon 2-0 in the 1st round of the competition. Talking to the Western Morning News, Johnson said: "It was a fantastic win and it really made my week. I've had a decent week, with my brother getting the Weymouth job and then we beat them in the reserves, but it was a great performance to beat Swindon. I was ecstatic."

"They [Swindon] have a very big youth policy, so to beat them on their own patch quite comfortably is no mean feat. Hopefully we will get lots and lots of supporters - we'll publicise it - for the next round against Brentford. The FA Youth Cup is a big competition and our lads, after that result, deserve a good gate.

"They lost 8-0 [at Swindon] earlier in the season, so it's a hell of a turnaround. I think we were without a few of our best players when we played them the first time. There were also a couple injured and a couple playing in the reserves, so it wasn't as strong a team.

"But it was nice, it's nice for the boys to do that, they did Yeovil proud and I'm very proud of them and their manager. Stuart Housley's done a great job with them."

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

14 November 2004 : FA Cup Second Round Draw
The winners of the Yeovil Town v Darlington FA Cup 1st round replay have been drawn away to Histon, currently 5th in the Southern League Premier Division, 2-0 conquerers of Shrewsbury in the last round. The Stutes, as Histon are for some reason known, are based in Impington, Cambridgeshire, about 5 miles from the centre of the city of Cambridge itself. They play at The Glassworld Stadium, Bridge Road, a ground with a capacity of 3,250, 250 seated, and wear red and black stripes.

The full draw is as follows:

Northampton v Bury
Halifax Town v Chester City
Stockport County v Swansea City
Blackpool v Port Vale
Rushden & Diamonds v Mansfield Town or Colchester
Forest Green Rovers or Bournemouth v Bristol Rovers or Carlisle
Hinkley United v Bristol City or Brentford
Cambridge City v Milton Keynes Dons
Swindon Town v Notts County
Hull City v Alfreton or Macclesfield
Wycombe Wanderers v Luton Town
Slough Town v Yeading
Scunthorpe United v Wrexham
Histon v Darlington or YEOVIL TOWN
Stevenage Borough v Rochdale
Hartlepool United v Aldershot Town
Oldham Athletic v Leyton Orient
Hereford United v Boston United
Peterborough United v Bath City
Exeter City v Doncaster Rovers

Ties to be played over the weekend of the 4th/5th December.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

13 November 2004 : Gary's Verdict on the Darlington Game
Glovers manager Gary Johnson spoke to the press after Yeovil grabbed a goal in stoppage time as they drew 3-3 at Darlington to earn themselves a FA Cup first round replay at Huish Park:

Qu: You twice came from behind to earn a draw and you didn’t deserve to be beaten.

GJ: The performance was very good and really they should have been out of sight as far as goals are concerned at half time. I didn’t say a lot at half time because I was so nerved about the penalty decision. I wasn’t giving good enough information to my players as I was so upset, so I asked Thomo (Steve Thompson) to speak to the players. I was so disappointed with that. It was such an important decision that the officials missed. If you are going to make it 3-3, I suppose you are better off scoring the last goal and making it feel like a win because I feel we got ourselves out of jail right at the death.

Qu: You obviously thought it was a blatant penalty then the first half?

GJ: Of course I did. I don’t think that anyone is going to go past the keeper and take a dive. To be fair I don’t think the referee saw it as he looked at the linesman straight away and the linesmans these days don’t like to give those decisions. I couldn't believe it, and I was saying do you think he is going to go around the keeper and then dive?

Qu: What a fantastic start in the second half.

GJ: That’s right, Thommo obviously said the right things, as the players could see how mad I was. They didn’t know whether it was because of them or the situation. It worked a treat because the boys came out and created a goal. We created so many good chances and although we only scored three should have scored five or six, particularly in the first half, and then that would have meant that we were away and gone. But anyway that happens sometimes and perhaps I should be saying that it was good that we scored three goals away from home. But we had to work very hard for those last two goals.

[Transcript by George Murray.]

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

13 November 2004 : Bartosz Double Keeps Glovers In The Cup
Yeovil Town's tradition for FA Cup drama continued, when they grabbed an equalising goal deep into second half injury time against fellow League Two side Darlington at the Williamson Motors Stadium today. As the six goals were ultimately shared evenly, it was Bartosz Tarachulski who was the hero, bundling the ball into the net during a 92nd minute goalmouth scramble, forced after a Lee Johnson free kick could only be parried by Quakers keeper Sam Russell.

Darlington had got the upper hand early in the game, with their new-look striking partnership reaping dividends - former Middlesborough striker Alun Armstrong heading home at the back post from a free kick. But the Glovers were the team on top and were unlucky not to gain reward from that when Lee Johnson was bundled over by keeper Russell midway through the half. Only a referee badly out of position appeared to deny the Glovers a cast-iron penalty that left Glovers manager Gary Johnson fuming at the better positioned linesman.

Assistant boss Steve Thompson did the half time team talk, and Thommo's words saw instant reward as Colin Miles bundled in a goalmouth scramble less than a minute from the restart. Just nine minutes later Bartosz Tarachulski had made the turnaround complete when he slotted home following a defence-splitting Lee Johnson pass.

It seemed it was all going Yeovil's way with the home side not managing a second half goal attempt until Quakers manager David Hodgson decided to introduce Clark Keltie from the home bench with 20 minutes left. Two minutes later Armstrong had got his second and Darlington's equaliser, and when Keltie made it 3-2 with a header four minutes from time, it looked like a very long journey home for the Glovers.

But never write off Yeovil in an FA Cup match. As the game reached injury time, Darlington defender Brian Close showed a little too much of his cricketing namesake by blocking a through ball with his hand, and as he was dismissed from the field, up stepped Johnson and Tarachulski again to combine for a sensational late - but thoroughly deserved on the balance of play - equaliser.

Final Score: Darlington 3 Yeovil Town 3.

The replay will now be pencilled in for Tuesday 23rd November at Huish Park with a 7.45pm kick-off, whilst the draw for the Second Round draw will take place on BBC1 tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon.

Only significant absentee from today's match was top scorer Phil Jevons, who failed a morning fitness test, due to a hamstring tweak sustained during last week's trip to Wycombe Wanderers. Club captain Terry Skiverton, who himself returns to training on Monday, explained that Jevons just missed out on selection, saying that the Darlington match had come "two days too soon" for the Glovers striker to be involved.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

11 November 2004 : Reserves saunter to easy win over poor opposition
A half-paced lethargic performance from Yeovil Town Reserves was enough to send their counterparts from Weymouth back down the road to the south coast last night with their tails between their legs, the Glovers second-string coming out on top at a cold Huish Park by 2 goals to 1.

Yeovil players in fact scored all 3 goals. Nicolas Mirza opened the scoring on 13 minutes with a splendidly-taken volley from the edge of the box; Andy Lindegaard evened things up with a well-placed own goal on 72 minutes (possibly confused by his time as a loanee at the Wessex?) and youth team prospect Gavin McCallum bagged the winner 4 minutes from time. A somewhat fuller and possibly slightly biased match report is online at the link below:

Yeovil Town Reserves 2 - 1 Weymouth Reserves.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

10 November 2004 : With The Simple Sword Of Truth............
......... and the trusty shield of British fair play.

So said Conservative government minister Jonathan William Patrick Aitken in 1995 as he launched his court case for libel. However Judge Shrimpton seemed a little confused as to who Aitken was. He kept calling him Atkins. Atkins Aitken was revealed as a serial liar. In 1999 he was sentenced to eighteen months for perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice. Perhaps Shrimpton was more on the ball than some thought...... forward to 2004.

On 19th October in the derby match against Yeovil Town two Bristol Rovers players were sent from the field of play for violent conduct. In the post-match press conference manager Ian Atkins stated :

No matter what the provocation, there was no excuse for the sending-off offences and the referee got it totally right with both red cards. I apologise to our fans and to Gary Johnson for what happened. I am a disciplined person myself and will not tolerate that sort of behaviour.

What a fine upstanding fellow. It therefore came as something of a surprise to find the F.A. charging Atkins on the 21st with three counts to be heard on November 4th :

In the players' tunnel at half time, Atkins used abusive and/or insulting words towards Yeovil Town FC players.

At the end of the fixture, Atkins used abusive and/or insulting words towards the Yeovil Town FC manager.

During the same incident, Atkins conduct was improper in that he had to be physically restrained from confronting the Yeovil Town FC manager.

We aren't sure whether the latter two were before or after he offered a cup of tea to two Yeovil players. In his enthusiasm to display his graciousness the cup must have er, slipped from his hand.

Atkins responded the same day :

My initial reaction is one of disbelief. But I won't be commenting publicly until I have answered these charges.

Two weeks later, just before the case was due Atkins requested a delay and a personal hearing saying in the press :

I have some people on the case for me and it might move on next week. I still don't know what they can charge me with, and neither do the people who are looking after me. Considering what went on during that game, and the opposing bench, I find it very frightening.

Attempts were made from somewhere to feed the media stories that the police were investigating the behaviour of individuals from the Yeovil club, and considering charges. Needless to say this appears to have had absolutely no substance.

On Radio Bristol Atkins stoutly maintained there was no case to answer, and made a series of unspecific accusations that account should have been taken of what was going on "on the other bench". He would be fighting these charges with the simple sword of truth.......

And after all that........

Today at last Atkins admitted to two charges and was reprimanded, warned as to future conduct, and fined £800. The third charge was not mentioned either way in the F.A. announcement on the proceedings.

Update 11/11/04 : The local press are stating that the F.A. rolled the third charge into one of the others. Atkins said:

I pleaded guilty to the two charges of using abusive language and admitted I was in the wrong, even though I took a real volley of verbal abuse myself. But I denied having to be restrained from confronting their manager.

Yeah, sure Ian. And every one else makes it you were guilty on all three counts. Can't see any reference from the F.A. to only being guilty on half the combined charge. Still, if your pathetic twisting and turning and feeble attempts at self justification make you feel better.......

Atkins also tried to dredge up the alleged police investigation. The Western Daily Press decided to ignore him, but the Bristol Evening Post, with more Rovers readers to pander to presumably, printed his claim that :

I have my thoughts on what happened but I can't say too much because I understand there could be a police inquiry pending and it would be wrong to prejudice that.

They did then rather cut the ground from under him by following this with :

At this stage nothing has been formally reported to us and no charges have been brought.

from the Avon and Somerset Police. One can almost see them silently making the universal 'tosser' gesture as they took the press phone call.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

10 November 2004 : Jacko signs for Terras
Former Yeovil striker Kirk Jackson has become new Weymouth manager Steve Johnson's first signing, the 28-year-old joining the parks league Conference South outfit following the financial collapse of his previous club Hornchurch and his subsequent release on a free transfer.

Glovers boss Gary Johnson was enthusiastic about his brother's first signing: "Kirk will be a great addition to the Weymouth squad," he told the Western Daily Press. "He scored a hatful of goals for us when we won the Conference - and that was at a level above. It's a great coup for the club and shows their intentions."

It's possible that Jacko - who scored 20 goals for the Glovers in their Conference-winning season - may even make his first appearance in a Weymouth shirt at Huish Park. The Glovers second-string entertain their Terras counterparts in a reserve-team friendly at Huish Park tonight, kick-off 7pm. Admission to the match is free, with teamsheets costing £1 to cover costs.

Yeovil are expecting to field a relatively strong side including two triallists: Australian keeper Vilson Knezevic and Southampton midfielder Stuart Anderson. Knezevic has come over to this country to trial for Plymouth and Anderson is a highly rated youth team player for the Saints. Gary Johnson commented: "Plymouth boss Bobby Williamson asked us if we could maybe play Knezevic in a friendly so we could both have a look at him. Neither of us particularly needs a keeper at the moment, but you never know what might happen in the future."

Possible team for tonight: Collis/Knezevic, Lindegaard, Miles, O'Brien, Dale Williams, Mirza, Anderson, Gall, Tarachulski, Odubade.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

10 November 2004 : Youths take their revenge on Robins
When Yeovil Town's youth team was drawn away at Swindon Town for the second year in succession in the FA Youth Cup, memories of last season's 5-0 defeat at the hands of the Robins, not to mention this season's 8-0 hammering in the league in August meant that supporters could be forgiven for fearing the worst when the Glovers youngsters made the trip to the County Ground last night for the 1st round match. Yet in a stunning reversal of the formbook and a confirmation of the gradual improvement the youth team have been making this term as they adjust to the higher standards of the Youth League, the Glovers youngsters came away from Wiltshire with an excellent 2-0 win under their belts, the second-half goals coming from Gavin McCallum and Andy Holmes.

A brief report on the match is available on the Swindon Evening Advertiser website. The Glovers youngsters now go on to play Brentford at Huish Park in round two, the tie to be completed by Sat 27th November.

Update: It's since been announced that the 2nd round tie v Brentford will be played at Huish Park on Thursday 25th November, 7pm kick-off. Admission: £4 adults, £2 concessions.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

9 November 2004 : Action Photos From Wycombe vs Yeovil
A selection of 64 action photos from Saturday's 1-0 win at Wycombe Wanderers have now been added to the Photo Gallery section on the site. Head here to view them all.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

9 November 2004 : Adams Resigns
The match against Yeovil Town last Saturday has turned out to be the last for Tony Adams as manager of Wycombe Wanderers. He resigned today after a year and four days in the job.

Or rather at the time of writing he is in the process of resigning. Whilst Adams has already spoken to the media and declared his departure is for "personal reasons", the club has appeared to have been trying to catch up with the story all day. Earlier this afternoon they were still denying it. Now they have moved to a "no comment" position.

After last year's blood bath in Divison 3, with seventeen clubs parting with managers during the season, one might have expected a bit more stability this campaign. It hasn't been the case so far. Counting Mark Wright, who departed Chester City the day before the season kicked off, five League Two managers have now left their clubs in various circumstances and we're only in the second week of November.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

8 November 2004 : Brother Can You Spare A Team?
Steve Johnson, brother to Gary, has been appointed as manager / coach of Weymouth F.C.

As reported here on 26th October, Johnson (S.) put in a public bid for the job through the local press, laying out his ideas for taking the club forward after the Live The Dream debacle that the Scummers are rapidly trying to bury as a bad nightmare. Ideas that bore uncanny resemblance to the sort of philosophy Johnson (G.) has brought to Yeovil Town. Steve acknowledged his older brother's input, whilst stressing he would be his own man :

I talked to my brother Gary and he said Weymouth are a ******** club who have under-achieved and urged me to go for it............ I've got the same footballing philosophy as Gary and I know I've got the makings of a good coach. But although I've learned a lot from him and would use some of the same principles, I don't want to hang on his coat-tails.

Weymouth chairman Martyn Harrison was clearly impressed, and took a few minutes off from his hilarious (to all outsiders) slanging match with ex-chairman Ian Ridley to announce the appointment on the Scummers' forum at midday :

It is with great pleasure that I have to announce the appointment of Steve Johnson as the new manager of Weymouth Football Club. (Manager/Head Coach). Tomorrows replay and team selection will be handled by Paul Buckle.

During his time as a player Johnson (S.) spent time on the books of Brentford, Leicester City, Southampton and Fulham, though never breaking into the First Teams. He then dropped down into Non-league and had spells at Hayes, Kettering Town and Leytonstone & Ilford. Since his playing days ended Steve's involvement in football has mostly been on the coaching side. He was at Cambridge United, and later went to Latvia with Johnson (G.), looking after the Under-18's, and has also coached at Watford, Fulham, Lewes and most recently Ringmer. His two periods as No.1 were at : Chertsey Town, where ironically a third brother Pete Johnson contributed to his sacking after two years when he managed Molesey to a 3-1 victory over the Curfews in the F.A. Cup; and briefly at Arundel.

At Ciderspace we wish Steve all the best in the Herculean task he has undertaken to try and turn Weymouth into something approaching a football club. Sadly he will fail, as no one can make a silk purse out of a beach donkey's ear, but we are sure it won't be for the want of trying. At least when things get too depressing it's only a short drive up the A354 / A37 to see how a proper team does it.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

7 November 2004 : Adams Leaves Fireworks Until Later
The last time Yeovil Town were at the Causeway Stadium (then Adams Park) Martin O'Neill's classy Chairboys ripped us apart 5-1 .......and the 1 was an own goal. In the twelve years since then the clubs paths had diverged considerably, with Wycombe Wanderers promoted to Divison Three, then Divison Two, whilst Yeovil had a spell in the Isthmian League. However on Saturday it was back on level terms again in League Two.

After early good form Wycombe have been struggling of late and Tony Adams sent out a very conservative starting formation of 4-5-1, as if a point at home was the height of his ambitions. Yeovil also seemed to be reining back their more usual gung-ho approach, and on a slippery wet pitch the first half was rather a non-event as both sides cancelled each other out.

As the game passed the hour mark it was Yeovil manager Gary Johnson who seemed more prepared to make the moves to win the game, with first Bartosz Tarachulski brought on, followed ten minutes later by Kevin Gall. Yeovil's greater ambition was eventually rewarded, after a period of increasing pressure, with a late goal on 84 minutes from the big Pole, the assist from Gall. As Johnson had posted in the dressing room before kick-off : "Subs Affect Games".

For the second week running an opposition manager failed to turn up at the post-match press conference. Officially Mr. Adams had a fireworks party to go to. With the rain still drifting down one hopes it was more entertaining than the damp squib his team had been on the day.

Final score: Wycombe Wanderers 0 Yeovil Town 1

Ciderspace match report.

Elsewhere in League Two leaders Scunthorpe United maintained their slender advantage with a 2-0 win in the derby versus Grimsby Town. Swansea City got a late late penalty, and two attempts at it, to beat Bristol Rovers in a bad tempered game at the Vetch, and go second. Leyton Orient, who had started the day in second place, drew 1-1 away at Chester City and drop to fourth. Yeovil moved up one to third.

At the other end of the table Shrewsbury Town, Cambridge United and Kidderminster Harriers all lost, and the first chink of light is opening up between these three and the rest of the division.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

7 November 2004 : Action Photos From Yeovil vs Chester City
Action photos from last week's 4-1 win over Chester City are now on-line. To view the 86 photos from the match, head here or access the Gallery Index here.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

7 November 2004 : Gary's Verdict on the Wycombe Game
Glovers manager Gary Johnson praised his side's patience in trying to unlock a defensively-minded Wycombe Wanderers side, eventually getting their just rewards with a 1-0 win at the Causeway Stadium yesterday. Talking to the press after the game, Gary answered the following questions:

Qu: It can be a bit of a chess game this football, can't it?

GJ: That's a good description of today. We were the ones that were determined to come and win the game. It was a game in which we had to work very hard to break them down. Tony has got them organised. Myself and Thommo came down to watch them in midweek and they played that shape - the 4-5-1. It is difficult to break down and you have to be very patient. You have to play your football and you have to wait for an opening. Then your quality has got to come out. It took a quality cross and a quality finish by our two substitutes to do it. I'm not that patient that I can wait for 89 minutes, but when it came it was well received.

Qu: You had a forced substitution when you lost Liam Fontaine through injury, but Bartosz was waiting to get at that stage wasn't he?

GJ: Yes, and you know me - I don't like making three substitutions. I do towards the end but not that early for fear of another injury. The last thing you want to do is to go down to ten men because of injury because you're not allowed to bring another sub on. We took a little bit of a chance, and when Scott Guyett went down I had a little bit of a panic. But Scotty knows the scene and if very experienced. He got up and played the remainder of the game even though he was a little bit away with the fairies! But we got there and I'm proud of the boys because it was a great away performance, especially because we had to first win the chess game.

Qu: You said Scott got a knock - was that a head injury?

GJ: Yes it was but he knew that if he stayed down then he'd have to go off the pitch. So he didn't want treatment but the lads were a bit concerned. He had to head three balls on the trot straight after that!

Qu: Hand on heart, were you thinking well we got a point at least this afternoon?

GJ: A little bit sometimes. I wouldn't have been happy with a point. With all due respect to Wycombe, when they decided to play that way, we felt we were going to have enough of the ball. If we showed any sort of quality then we were going to create chances. I didn't feel Wycombe created that many chances in the way that they played. As it turned out, we did get the one and that was enough to get us the three points.

Qu: Bartosz has been patient on the bench and that was a brave header wasn't it?

GJ: If you'd seen his face all week, then you'd know he hasn't been very patient at all! But he knows this scene and he knows his role. We did talk in the hotel actually and I put a big sign up in the dressing room that said 'Subs Affect Games'. Gally hit the cross and Bartosz headed the finish, so they do effect games. They've got to be ready on the line to affect the game, and certainly they did that - both of them.

Qu: It's important to keep that league run going into an FA Cup game.

GJ: Yes, I suppose so. It's two wins and it's the six points that have been important to us after a poor run of points. But we did say that our form has been good and I'd still say that our form has been good. We were away at a team that was top of this league in September and they respected us enough to get nine or ten men behind the ball and we've come up trumps again today. You have to come up against all oppositions and all tactics in this league. Last week people tried to beat us up and we came through that. This week people tried to defend and we've come through that. We just have to keep trying to take on all of the challenges.

Qu: What's the word on Liam Fontaine?

GJ: It was his knee. It's a shame that he's finished his little stint with an injury but that's par for the course with centre-halves in this club! But he's been great for us and the lads have all wished him well. They've treated him like a little bit of a hero in there which he has been. Now we've got to do without him. We would have liked to have kept him on because he's done very well but Fulham did say it was three months and that would be it. They don't really want him cup-tied next week and to be honest I probably wouldn't have played him anyway because obviously you've got to play the lads that are going to be part of your future. Plucky needed another week which was why I couldn't play him today. He was still a bit groggy from last week. But Scotty, Liam and then Roy O'Brien when he came on all did their jobs.

Qu: I thought Darren Way was fantastic today.

GJ: Yes, today everybody had to work very hard. When it's a game like that, Darren always comes to the fore doesn't he? I still feel that teams playing that way can not concentrate for 90 minutes. I think it is very hard to do that, especially when you've got players of the sort of quality that we've got that can probe and pass. In the end I'm pleased we won the game.

Qu: Was it a case of just being patient and making sure you played your game?

GJ: Yes, we said at half time that you've just got to keep patient. We were hoping for chances to come and that they would be better chances because to be fair we didn't have very good chances in the first half because Wycombe defended well. But you haven't half got to concentrate to defend that well that often. You've got ricochets, corners and free kicks and all that sort of stuff and you run the risk of something happening.

Qu: Is that why Kevin Gall came in, because at that stage of the game things started to open up a lot more.

GJ: Yes, it did and it was about the right time because we didn't want to lose our solid shape but Kevin gives you that option of a bit of pace. He really could have had one goal, but he mis-hit the shot that led to the cross that led to the goal. He said he meant to do it so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!

Qu: Just a word about Bartosz - he's fearless isn't he?

GJ: Yes, we needed to bash them a little bit and to pick up seconds and to give them a bit of a threat in the air. Because the five in midfield were so deep there, we had to go high, rather than put it into our forwards. It wasn't quite the game for Jevo and Stolcs so Bartosz came on and he affected the game. We wanted to get their centre-halves under a bit more pressure. Players have to get a bit more close to them and then that gives you a bit more room around the outside. But part of what won the day was that our lads were super-fit and as the game went on our lads got stronger.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

5 November 2004 : Atkins Contests FA Charges
Bristol Rovers manager Ian Atkins has expanded upon yesterday's story detailing his plans to personally contest the three charges brought against him under FA Rule E3, alleging a triple-count of improper conduct and bringing the game into disrepute.

In this morning's Western Daily Press, Atkins told the paper: "I have some people on the case for me and it might move on next week. I still don't know what they can charge me with, and neither do the people who are looking after me. Considering what went on during that game, and the opposing bench, I find it very frightening."

Atkins charges relate to incidents that occurred in the players tunnel at both half-time and full-time and relate to actions against a number of Yeovil players at half time, followed up by a verbal assault on Glovers manager Gary Johnson at full time, with the third charge relating to an incident when he attempted to physically confront Johnson but was stopped from doing so. All three incidents are likely to have been witnessed by one or more of the four match officials. The case is expected to be heard late next week.

Meanwhile Atkins will have no doubt endeared himself to the next set of match officials he comes across, saying of tomorrow's trip to Swansea City's Vetch ground: "It's always a hard place to go. I have been there on numerous occasions and never got any decisions from officials."

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

5 November 2004 : Travel Disruption For Wycombe
Supporters travelling to Wycombe Wanderers and their Causeway Stadium (or Adams Park as us die-hards would rather have it!) should note that their is potential disruption via both road and rail.

The Chiltern Railways website proudly announces "disruption is planned this weekend". Whilst we'd always been led to believe that it was engineering works that was meant to be planned, rather than the disruption itself, it should be noted that services to Wycombe are not departing from Marylebone Station as they normally would, but from London Paddington instead, leaving at 03 and 33 past the hour. You are advise to call Chiltern Railways on 08456 005 165 or National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 for full travelling information.

The Nexus Alpha website that displays live train running information states that on Saturday: "Major works are taking place on this date and London Marylebone Station will be closed to all High Wycombe line services. Trains will be diverted into London Paddington and there will be no train service from Northolt Park or Wembley Stadium. Passeners intending to use these Stations should use alternative London Underground or National Rail Stations instead."

On the roads, be aware that there is a 40mph contraflow on the Wylye bypass complete with speed cameras. This may slow you down a little on your way.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

5 November 2004 : So Long, Liam
Fulham defender Liam Fontaine will play his last game for the Glovers tomorrow at Wycombe Wanderers, according to the YTFC official website. The teenage central defender's third month on loan at Huish Park ends after tomorrow's match at Adams Park.

It seems that Glovers boss Gary Johnson decided not to ask Fulham for permission to keep Fontaine for the remainder of the season, but it must have been doubtful that the Premiership outfit would have agreed to such a request anyway. Speaking to the official site, Johnson said: "Liam has been a great servant for us over the last three months and I am very sorry to see him go back but with Colin Miles, Roy O'Brien, Adam Lockwood and Terry Skiverton all back too or nearly back to full fitness it seemed the only decision I could make.

"Liam has not missed a game for us and been totally solid during his time at Huish Park and we all wish him well for the future. I am sure all our supporters will get behind him in his last match for the club at Wycombe tomorrow."

Liam made his Yeovil debut in the 2-0 win over Boston on August 14th and has been ever present in the team since, filling a huge hole in the absence at various times of the likes of Lockwood, Skiverton, Miles, O'Brien and Guyett. It's hard to remember at times that he is just a teenager, such is his maturity and presence at the back. One of the modern breed of central defenders who is equally at home with the ball at his feet as in the air, he's been a big asset to the team at a difficult time and will be missed. The very best of luck to Liam in the future from us all at Ciderspace.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

4 November 2004 : Club After New Groundsman
Yeovil Town have seen their third groundsman in three years leave the club following the recent exit of Tom Parkman from Huish Park. The claims made in the Western Gazette suggest that Parkman left the club last Wednesday which may explain the unusually 'dewey' looking quality to the Huish Park turf last Saturday, during the 4-1 win over Chester City.

Whilst the club search for a replacement for Parkman, who the Gazette imply was sacked, the Football Club have declined to comment on the situation other than to confirm that a search is ongoing.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

4 November 2004 : Atkins Delays FA Hearing
Reports on local radio tonight suggest that Bristol Rovers manager Ian Atkins has delayed the FA proceedings against him by requesting a personal hearing, due to be heard next week at Soho Square.

Atkins had until today to respond to three charges of having breached FA Rule E3 which relates to the personal conduct of players and management. Atkins was charged following a number of separate incidents in the tunnel area during October's 2-2 draw at the Memorial Stadium.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

4 November 2004 : F.A. Youth Cup Draw
The draw for the Second Round Proper has been made. Yeovil Town has yet to play its First Round match v Swindon Town. This tie has been set for Tuesday 9th November, with a 7.30 p.m. kick-off at the County Ground.

The full Second Round draw is as follows :

1 Hull City or Carlisle United v Belper Town or Notts County
2 Chester Le Street Town v Alvechurch or Carlton Town or Walsall or Stockport County
3 Boston United or Northampton Town v Huddersfield Town or Rochdale
4 Chesterfield or Thackley v Rushden & Diamonds or Port Vale
5 Lincoln City or Alfreton Town v Shrewsbury Town
6 Eastwood Town or Lye Town v Burscough
7 Hednesford Town or Grimsby Town v Bury
8 Doncaster Rovers v Mansfield Town or Cambridge United or Sheffield Wednesday
9 Milton Keynes Dons v Darlington or Farsley Celtic or Kidderminster Harriers
10 Barnsley or Oldham Athletic v Scunthorpe United or Hartlepool United
11 Blackpool or Tranmere Rovers v Chester City or Whitley Bay
12 Wycombe Wanderers v Stevenage Borough or Dover Athletic or Dulwich Hamlet
13 Bridgwater Town or Bristol City v Southend United or Sutton United
14 Barking & East Ham United v Billericay Town or Wealdstone or Farnborough Town
15 Luton Town v Cirencester Town or Oxford United
16 Wembley or Haringey Borough v Ware or Woking
17 Swindon Town or YEOVIL TOWN v Brentford or Henley Town
18 Exeter City or Cheltenham Town v Colchester United or Whyteleafe
19 Redbridge or Grays Athletic v Weymouth or Bristol Rovers
20 Swansea City or AFC Bournemouth v Leyton Orient or Tonbridge Angels

All ties to be completed by Saturday 27th November 2004.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

4 November 2004 : That's the Way to do it, part 2
Midfielder Darren Way is YTFC internet fans' choice as Player of the Month for October - the second time this season the midfield dynamo has won the honour. In a tough month for the Glovers results-wise, Weasel stood out for his never-say-die attitude in adversity, scored a rare goal and won the outright Man of the Match award twice, in the games against Macclesfield and Bristol Rovers.

Darren Way on the ball for Yeovil Town
Darren Way on the ball for Yeovil Town.
Photo © Ciderspace 2004.

MOTM points totals for October are as follows (players had to play in over half of the month's games to qualify):

289 points - Darren Way

277 points - Liam Fontaine

228 points - Chris Weale

205 points - Phil Jevons

201 points - Paul Terry

160 points - Gavin Williams

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

3 November 2004 : Enamel lapel badges for sale
A reminder that the Ciderspace enamel lapel badge is now available to purchase - Feast your eyes below:

A small object of desire.
A small object of desire.
Photo © 2004 Ciderspace

At a mere £3 each, impress your friends and family with your immaculate taste and be happy in the knowledge that all profits will go to benefit Yeovil Town Football Club.

Order your badges from Stew Bratherton (Blue Stew on the forum) at :

91, Combe Park, Yeovil, Somerset, BA21 3BE (cheques payable to 'S M BRATHERTON'). For delivery by post add 50p.

Orders can also be made by e-mail to Stewart Bratherton.

Well-known Glovers fan Tim Lancaster also has a new enamel lapel badge for sale at £3 each. The badge will be on sale at the Wycombe Wanderers away fixture on November 6th and will commemorate the first Football League meeting between Wycombe Wanderers (Conference champions 1992/93) and Yeovil Town (Conference Champions 2002/03) - a period of ten years. See below:

Well worth £3 of anyone's money
Well worth £3 of anyone's money.
Photo © 2004 Ciderspace

Tim will be selling the badge at the Wycombe away match on Saturday. Alternatively, to order by post send a cheque to 45, Goytre Road, Goytre, Port Talbot, West Glamorgan, Wales, SA13 2YN. Add 50p P&P.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

3 November 2004 : Players to sparkle on Bonfire Night
A reminder that the club is holding a Fireworks Spectacular at Huish Park on Bonfire Night, this Friday 5th November. The gates open at 6pm, the bonfire is scheduled to be lit at around 6.45pm with the fireworks due to start at around 7.30pm. Glovers boss Gary Johnson has announced that he and his players will be present at the event and presumably will be mingling with the crowds.

Some fireworks
Some fireworks. The club's display may or may not resemble this photo.
Photo © Corporate Hoore.

Entrance is £5 per adult, £2 per child. A family ticket costing £13 (2 adults, max 3 children) is also available. Tickets are on sale from the Ticket Office tomorrow and Friday and also on entry at the club on the night.

The event, including a Fun Fair, will take place on the Bartlett Stand car park and both the Marquee bar and the Vice-President's bar will be open before and after the firework display. Stuart Housley will host a karaoke party in the Vice-Presidents bar. It was originally intended that the karaoke should take place in the Marquee, however we understand that a suitable licence for the Marquee could not be obtained in time so rather than cancel the event it has been moved to the upstairs bar. Disabled fans intending to attend the karaoke take note.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

3 November 2004 : Stolcers shows his commitment
Former Fulham striker and Latvian international Andrejs Stolcers has signed for the Glovers until the end of the season, the club has announced today.

Andrejs Stolcers in action during the 4-1 home win over Chester
Andrejs Stolcers in action during the 4-1 home win over Chester
Photo © 2004 Ciderspace

Stolcers has been playing at Huish Park on non-contract terms since September 4th, making his debut as second half substitute in the 1-0 win over Swansea City. Since then he's been an ever present in the team, scoring a total of three times in twelve appearances. The fact that his family are now apparently living in Yeovil and that he's signed a contract committing himself to the end of the season is significant inasmuch that he is demonstrating with his actions as well as words that he is committed to the club, and is very much welcomed by us all at Ciderspace.

Speaking to the official site, manager Gary Johnson commented: "I'm very happy that Andrejs has agreed to sign until the end of the season. He is a very, very clever player and makes more goals than he has scored at the moment, but he has been involved in so much of our good play and intelligent players are what we are all about.

"If we are going to be pushing for promotion then we need the quality in and around our team that a player like Andrejs is able to provide.

"He seems to have established a very good partnership with Phil Jevons on the field culminating in us being top of the goalscoring charts and also second in the Football League, to Luton, for the number of scoring chances created.

"Although Andrejs is not scoring every week his contribution in helping Phil Jevons to reach his targets have been tremendous and I'm sure that now he is settled the goals will start going in for him.

"It's a real coup for the club to be able to sign a quality player like Andrejs who is able to play at a much higher level than ours."

Couldn't have put it better ourselves. Good luck for the rest of the season Andrejs!

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

1 November 2004 : VOTE KEZIE IBE!!
Yeovil Town's loaned out Kezie Ibe hit a hat-trick for Tiverton Town in their 4-1 F.A. Cup Fourth Qualifying Round victory over Newport County. The Exeter Express & Echo report said :

Tiverton Town's stop-start season finally exploded into life on Saturday as the rampant Yellows smashed higher-division Newport County 4-1 at Ladysmead. On-loan Yeovil striker Kezie Ibe scored a magnificent hat-trick as Martyn Rogers' team booked a money-spinning FA Cup first round proper clash with League One side Doncaster Rovers.

Ibe sandwiched a Jamie Mudge strike by scoring in the 13th and 46th minutes to set Tivvy on their way - and he then rounded off victory with a spectacular third. From the moment the ball left his foot a full 25 yards from goal it was destined for the top corner. It was the perfect way to wrap up a dream performance by the rock-bottom Southern League Premier Division side..........

Ibe, along with partner in crime Mudge, tied the Exiles' two central defenders in knots. The pacy, tricky and direct front pairing leaped on Darren Jones and Scott Morgan's obvious weaknesses and scored all four goals between them to earn Tiverton their biggest win in eight months.

Jones and Morgan were terrified by Ibe and Mudge's pace and also panicked horribly whenever they were in possession. Visiting boss John Cornforth - who was the victim of some shameful abuse from his own fans - must have feared the worst whenever the ball went near them..........

Their positivity was rewarded as early as the 13th minute, when a Kevin Wills through ball reached Ibe just outside the area. The former Arsenal trainee coolly rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the empty net to give Tivvy a shock lead. But the Yellows certainly weren't finished there. Their relentless flow of attacks continued to pummel the shaky County back-line and they opened up a two-goal cushion just after the quarter-hour mark, when Mudge fired home an unstoppable left-foot drive from 20 yards.

The lead moved to 3-0 just 66 seconds into the second half, when Wills broke free down the left and unselfishly crossed for Ibe to fire home. After Ibe had completed his hat-trick, the Yellows were denied the most cast iron, rock solid and nailed-on penalty imaginable. Substitute striker Jamie Densham was just about to score his first goal for the club two minutes from time, when he was crudely brought down from behind by a desperate defender - only for referee Keith Pike to turn a blind eye to what was a red card offence.

Kezie Ibe V Torquay United
Kezie Ibe with close control at Plainmoor.
Photo © 2004 Ciderspace

Ibe's performance has earned him a nomination as one of the five candidates for F.A. Cup 4Q Player of the Round, along with Cliff Akurang of Thurrock, goalkeeper Lance Key of Histon, Craig Midgley of Halifax Town and Karl Rose of Leigh RMI.

The player who secures the most votes will be crowned F.A. Cup Player of the Round and will win £1,000 worth of UMBRO football kit and equipment for a local school, club or organisation of his choice, plus an engraved silver salver.

The successful player will join the other Round winners in The F.A.’s Team of The FA Cup. The team is guaranteed V.I.P. attendance at the F.A. Cup Final at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday 21 May 2005. and a chance-of-a-lifetime introduction to the crowd, pitch-side at half-time.

To vote visit HERE. Polling closes 9.00 a.m. on Monday 8th November.


Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

News Archives

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.
To subscribe to this News Page's RSS Feed, copy this link into your News Reader. Alternatively Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.
To see all news for February 2019 click here.
To see all news for January 2019 click here.

© Ciderspace 1999-2004
Last Updated : 17th August 2015
design by siteshape