Latest News
And Gossip

Go back to the Ciderspace Home Page
News, gossip, and speculation around the club
Results and fixtures frenzy!
The Ciderspace Message Board
Read our Player Profiles and Stats
Individual Articles, Opinion and Photo Galleries
The Players and Officials tell us what they think
Anorak's Corner!
Features on those sides we love to beat
News and Information from around the Nationwide Conference
Where to go next

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.

For current news direct from the club go to the official site news page.

Sun 29th September 2002
Happy Birthday To You!

Gary Johnson got the nicest of birthday presents yesterday as Yeovil Town took three points away from Hilton Park and went to the top of the table for the first time this season, with Chester City and Doncaster Rovers drawing 0-0 at Belle Vue.

With Abdoulai Demba not making the trip North as his baby is due (best wishes to both him and his wife), Kim Grant made his first start for three weeks. Darren Way travelled up a day after the rest of the squad because of illness, but was fit enough to start.

Yeovil came out of the traps at top speed, should have taken the lead within two minutes as Gavin Williams put his shot to the wrong side of the Leigh keeper, allowing him the chance to make a good save, but were a goal up only three minutes later. Captain Terry Skiverton continued his tremendous scoring record with his sixth of the season as he steamed in at the far post to bury a flick on from a corner. Four minutes later Leigh were level, as slack defending allowed Ged Kielty to pounce on a loose ball. From the other end of the ground it appeared that words were exchanged as the Yeovil defence had a bit of an inquest into that one! The rest of the half saw the visitors generally dominating, but it was still 1-1 as referee Mr Trevor Kettle, putting in a good performance for once, brought the first period to a conclusion. In the meantime Howard Forinton had gone off to be replaced by Carl Alford. He had started the game with slightly sore tendons, but his removal was more precautionary than any indication that this had been aggravated.

At half time Nick Crittenden was feeling unwell, but the administration of that well known treatment for dizzy spells, a Mars Bar!, courtesy of Y.T.I.S.A., saw him out on the pitch again at the restart. Yeovil upped the pressure further, and a well taken chance from Michael McIndoe saw the lead restored on 51 minutes. The hundred or so travelling faithful had barely finished celebrating when Gavin Williams burst through and was brought down in the box. Crittenden stepped forward, put the ball down the middle, only to see it saved. However, buoyed by the energy of his Mars Bar, Crittenden was quick enough to reach the rebound first and slot it home. Two goals in three minutes seemed to have sewn up the match. Cue the debut of Abdou Elkholti as Yeovil took off Kim Grant, pushed Williams up to partner Alford, and brough McIndoe inside to a more central position. Elkholti is a left sided player of French-Moroccan extraction, and it looks as if Gary is moving fast to find a replacement for Tonkin after his move to Stockport County. On the brief view available Elkholti brings yet more speed into a Yeovil side already awash with pace.

However Yeovil rarely keep things simple, and one of the very few incisive moves from Leigh saw the otherwise fairly quiet Dino Maamria whip in a perfect cross for a very unmarked Stuart Whittaker to power home a header. Fortunately there was no time for any nerves to set in as only three minutes on Gavin Williams burst through and was brought down in the box. Crittenden stepped forward, put the ball down the middle, only to see it saved. However, buoyed by the energy of his regular Mars Bars, Alford was quick enough to reach the rebound first and slot it home. With the two goal lead restored Yeovil played out the game in some comfort. The only oddity was that Leigh still had ten men on the pitch. Keeper Coburn clearly seemed to be last man, but Kettle deemed his offence only worthy of a yellow card.

As the game ended the visiting fans gave manager Gary Johnson a rendition of Happy Birthday To You as news came through that we had gone top of the league. What a September! The form guide makes rather nice reading, and should secure Gary the Conference Manager of the Month Award if there is any justice.

A full match report can be found here on Ciderspace.

Back to Top of Page

Sun 29th September 2002
Butler Charged

Halifax Town goalkeeper Lee Butler has been charged by the F.A. after the disgraceful scenes he initiated at The Avenue, Dorchester, on Saturday 21st. Butler had already been sent off for bringing down Abdoulai Demba in the penalty box, but stayed on the pitch for several minutes as he threw a major tantrum that triggered a mass confrontation between players from both sides. He has subsequently apologized for his behaviour, but the F.A. are still bringing charges of: 1) improper conduct; 2) violent conduct. If found guilty on both charges precedent suggests Butler will face a substantial ban. He has fourteen days to present his defence.

Fall out from the fracas saw Yeovil's Abdoulai Demba and captain Terry Skiverton also given their marching orders. Demba's red card has been rescinded after the video evidence was reviewed and the referee conceded an error had been made, but according to today's The Non-League Paper Skiverton's appeal has been rejected.

Back to Top of Page

Thurs 26th September 2002
Tonkin's Move To Stockport Is Completed

Former Glovers full-back Anthony Tonkin has signed for Stockport County after agreement was reached this morning between Yeovil and the 2nd Division club. No details of the fee have been released as yet, but the Glovers are expected to receive £50,000 plus a cut of any future sell-on fee for the player. Tonkin, a product of the youth system at Huish Park, made a total of 119 appearances for Yeovil following his debut in 1998, scoring two goals in that time. It's sad that the unsatisfactory nature of his leaving will inevitably overshadow what was a fine career at Huish Park, where he was voted Young Player of the Season 1999-2000. "We are sorry to see Anthony leave after such a long time with us but wish him all the best at Stockport," commented Glovers boss Gary Johnson.

Speaking to the Bristol Evening Post before the transfer was finalised Johnson said: "I am glad it is going to be sorted out. I will look at replacements at the right time but at the moment we are OK because I am playing a system that suits my players, but when the right time comes I will put my recommendation to the board."

Chairman John Fry concurred, saying: ""The way the team is performing so magnificently we have 20 players to look after and they have got on with the job and won both matches since Anthony Tonkin left.".

A Yeovil XI consisting of Chris Weale, Carl Alford, Stephen Reed, Chris Giles and assistant boss Steve Thompson; as well as several unnamed foreign triallists defeated a Torquay United XI 3-1 in Devon yesterday, the goals all being scored by triallists. Striker Kim Grant also played the entire 90 minutes following his recent groin injury. One of the triallists, a Frenchman, will train with the Glovers for the coming week.

Back to Top of Page

Thurs 26th September 2002
Glovers Decline To Play Cheats In Challenge Trophy

A news item found on the official Boston United website indicates that Yeovil Town have declined to play Boston (Cheats) United in the Nationwide Conference Jim Thompson Challenge Trophy - the non-league world's version of the Charity Shield, played between the previous season's Conference champions and FA Trophy winners. The news item reads:

Challenge Trophy

24 September The Nationwide Conference Jim Thompson Challenge Trophy will be played at York Street on Wednesday 6 November 2002 at 7.45 between Boston United (Nationwide Conference Champions) and Stevenage Borough (FA Umbro Trophy Runners-Up).

Many Glovers supporters, including ourselves at Ciderspace, have been arguing that to play Boston in this challenge match would make it seem as if the club endorsed Boston as genuine Conference champions, despite their admission of cheating in the season that they came top of the Conference table. Accordingly we're delighted to see that Yeovil have evidently pulled out of the match - it's a pity that Stevenage don't appear to have the same scruples.

In other news Yeovil chairman John Fry has been speaking about the Anthony Tonkin transfer saga. Fry told the Western Gazette that he hopes the move to Stockport County is finalised within the next few days: "When it gets to this stage you end up with either the player sitting on the bench or out of the squad due to relationships and there is nothing you can do," said Fry. "I am hoping the matter is resolved for the sake of the lad as well as his future club."

It seem clear that there is no way back for Tonkin at Yeovil. The player has been fined two weeks wages for failing to make himself available for the first team squad and for failing to give a reason for his actions, and the club also want to reclaim the week's wages that they claim Tonkin has already been paid when he has made himself absent from the club. Fry said: "Gary Johnson and I have been tearing our hair out trying to get hold of the player. There is a clause within his contract that if a club puts in a genuine offer of £50,000 then they can talk to him - and subject to the players interest a deal can be struck. We will not get in the way of the player if he wants to leave and Gary Johnson has not in any way stopped the player having communication with Stockport. If he has chosen to go to Stockport then good luck to him. However he does need to learn a bit of courtesy and professionalism when dealing with the football manager in particular."

On the subject of the £50,000 transfer fee Fry commented: "We want the payment for the player in one installment. We are not interested in several payments because the player is worth a lot more than what is being offered. We are expecting a sell-on clause as well as another one which will guarantee we benefit if the player and his new club are successful. We feel that is justice."

Both the Gazette and the Yeovil Express this week carry tributes to commercial manager Alan Skirton, who is retiring from full-time work at the end of the week, though he will still be available to the club as a consultant. Ciderspace's own tribute to Alan will be online at some point over the next few days.

Some good news: The club has announced that Abdoulai Demba's red card, given to him in the 3-0 win over Halifax Town has been rescinded after match referee Mr MP Russell viewed the video of the incident which lead to Demba being dismissed and decided the player was incorrectly sent off. Demba's suspension for three matches, which was to have begun on the 5th of October is therefore also rescinded. The club's appeal over the red card given to Terry Skiverton, sent off in the same incident, has yet to be decided.

Finally, there's a new official YTFC website online - but this one is devoted to the club's Ladies team. Head over to for all the latest news, views and match reports from Yeovil Town Ladies FC.

Back to Top of Page

Wed 25th September 2002
Many, Many, Many, Many Happy Returns!

Football came home at last to Huish Park yesterday evening. A crowd of just over 4,000 saw the Glovers christen their brand new pitch in emphatic fashion with a 4-0 win over a poor Woking side - the score said 4-0 but in all honesty Yeovil never needed to get out of second gear and it could just as easily have been 8-0 - but with fireworks before the game and even a female streaker to add to the entertainment for the Sky TV viewers no-one was complaining.

The visitors held out against constant pressure until a 3-goal spell in 5 minutes just before half-time killed them off. Abdoulai Demba began the rout with a tap-in from a corner, and Sky's man-of-the-match Michael McIndoe added the second with a Beckham-esque free kick from around 20 yards a minute later. Terry Skiverton kept his goalscoring streak going with a header just before the break to make it 3-0 at half-time. Howard Forinton finished off the scoring with another header from a corner on 60 minutes. The Ciderspace match report, courtesy of Noddy Elms and with links to other reports found on the net is now online.

The result leaves the Glovers 2nd in the Conference table, a point behind leaders Chester, who beat Burton Albion 2-1 at the Deva Stadium last night. Third place Doncaster drew 2-2 at Gravesend to slip 3 points behind Yeovil, who now travel to Hilton Park on Saturday (28th Sept) to play 20th-placed Leigh RMI.

Still no definite news on the future of Glovers fullback Anthony Tonkin. Stockport are reported to have offered £50,000 for the defender, but rumours on the Ciderspace Forum indicate that Plymouth Argyle are also interested, whilst the Bristol Evening Post report that Bristol City have also made an enquiry.

Back to Top of Page

Tues 24th September 2002
Tonkin Row Escalates

The war of words between Yeovil Town and Anthony Tonkin escalated yesterday when the player was accused of being in breach of contract after apparently refusing to be picked for the squad against Halifax last Saturday after being the subject of a £50,000 offer from 2nd Division Stockport County. According to the Western Daily Press neither Tonkin nor Stockport have contacted Yeovil since the weekend - certainly the proposed deal has not been completed meaning that technically Tonkin is in breach of contract for staying away from the club without an explanation, entitling the Glovers to compensation from both Stockport and the player's agent, on whose advice Tonks is said to have acted. Tonkin himself could also be fined by the club.

Chairman John Fry, speaking to the WDP, said: "We are looking for an explanation as to why Anthony Tonkin has acted in this way. If we do not get one we will be taking the matter further, and it is currently in the hands of our solicitors. Anthony Tonkin remains a Yeovil player until the transfer is completed and has already been paid until the end of this month." Fry went on to claim that two other clubs have enquired about the player's availability over the last few days, but as Tonkin was not answering his phone he could not be informed of their interest.

Tonight's Conference match v Woking (7.45pm kick-off) sees the Glovers return to Huish Park in front of the Sky TV cameras after a highly succesful spell at Dorchester's Avenue Stadium where our record reads: Played 5, Won 4, Drew 1, Goals for 12, Goals against 5, Points 13 (out of a possible 15).

Manager Gary Johnson, speaking to the WDP, said: "It did us no harm at all going there [Dorchester] and I'd like to thank them for making us feel welcome. Our supporters have been fantastic with more than 2,000 making the journey to watch us in Dorset. But there's nothing like playing on your own ground and we're expecting more than 4,000 for the Woking game."

Speaking about the new pitch at Huish Park - the cause of the temporary move to Dorchester - Johnson said: "We've had the pitch widened to better suit our style of play and we'll find out tonight if the changes have helped. We had a problem last season with teams stifling us and have spent a lot of money on putting things right with the pitch. But we'll only know if it's worked when we play on it.". The Glovers go into tonight's game with a full squad to choose from, with the obvious exceptions of the injured duo Tom White and Adam Stansfield.

Back to Top of Page

Sun 22nd September 2002
Gary Confirms Video Appeal

Yeovil Town manager Gary Johnson has confirmed that he will be appealing against the double sending-off in the Glovers 3-0 win over Halifax yesterday. He has sent match referee Mr Russell home with a copy of the video and has asked him to rewatch the multi-man brawl that held up play for five minutes, whilst Nick Crittenden was waiting to score his second and Yeovil's third goal of the game after Halifax keeper Lee Butler had been red-carded for upending Yeovil striker Abdoulai Demba in the area. Demba himself also received his marching orders when Butler instigated a brawl following his own sending off - for that Butler will surely receive a summons from the FA. Terry Skiverton was the other man dismissed, though it appears that the Halifax man who punched Skivo got off scot-free. "The three points were magnificent," said Johnson. "We were very solid early on and got two goals at a good time. Two very good goals - the penalty that Demba got was a well worked move and the second was a quality move - a very good goal from Gavin. At 2-0 at half time we were professional and more comfortable than we have been."

"In the second half I thought we did well and kept them down to a few half chances and made a few more ourselves," he added. "We mustn't forget the fact that Halifax were a league club four or five months ago so three points were fantastic for us."

"As for the third goal, first of all it was a definite penalty , secondly why does the goalkeeper have to react like he did? He brought Demba down - unlucky and gets sent off. It happens all the time - it happened to two of our keepers which is why we had a young lad on the bench today. Steve Thompson and Stuart Housley have had a quick look at the video and they say that Demba has done nothing except have someone's hand around his throat. Terry Skiverton has come in with twenty others and more or less tried to break it up. There wasn't much going on - no punches thrown and so we are appealing right now and giving the ref the video so I won't even see the video before he does. I trust Thommo and Stuart and they say that there is no case to answer for either of them. I hope he will recind his decision because they are two important players - we haven't got a big enough squad because if he's talking violent conduct then that's a three match ban. At 2-0 up and a penalty awarded to us then we aren't going to cause trouble - they are not that stupid. Anyway we'll have to see what he does and I can't comment more until his decision - I just hope he does the right thing."

"The nine men were brilliant - I could have used two more subs because you expect nine men to fade but I didn't have to as we looked solid and were still creating chances. They have been brilliant all season - I don't know here we are in the league but we certainly have had some fun and games at Dorchester. We have got four wins and a draw here so if we get beaten on Tuesday by Woking then we'll ask to come back here! It was a great crowd again - 25 miles up the road I'm sure we have put them all in the right frame of mind to turn up at Huish Park on Tuesday and if we are second then that game gives us a great chance to go top. Eight games undefeated and undefeated at home we have to keep trying for records because if you are going to win the league you have to break the records as you go."

Yesterday's results saw the Glovers leapfrog Doncaster Rovers - who went down 2-1 at Margate, whilst Chester City are the new league leaders after their 5-2 win over a somewhat sorry looking Dagenham and Redbridge. The latest league table is here.

The Glovers finally make their homecoming on Tuesday night when they take on Woking in another Nationwide Conference match. For Glovers who have been unable to travel to Dorchester, this game will be their first chance to catch the Glovers in action this season and as an added bonus, the game is live on Sky Sports.

Back to Top of Page

Sat 21st September 2002
Tonks On His Way Out

More on the Glovers explosive 3-0 and nine-man win over Halifax tomorrow, in the meantime it has emerged this evening that Yeovil's left-sided defender Anthony Tonkin has almost certainly played his last game for the club. A row has blown up between the players agent and the club following a £50,000 bid from 2nd Division Stockport County, with the result that the player, acting on his agents advice according to the club, refused to be included in the squad to play Halifax at The Avenue today and has agreed terms with Stockport.

Glovers boss Gary Johnson commented: "Iím absolutely devastated that Anthony has acted in this way. All the players at the club know I would never stand in their way if an opportunity to better themselves comes along. To be told by his agent not to speak to the player and that he didnít want him to play today is a disgrace.

"Iíve even had Gordon Taylor on the phone from the PFA suggesting I hadnít informed the player of the interest from Stockport which is totally untrue. The matter had to be discussed by my Chairman and board and to be told the player has allegedly already agreed terms with Stockport has really upset me.

"We obviously will wish Tonks all the best at his new club, wherever he ends up, and I do hope that he will realise that at the end of the day his manager and the club that have brought him through to this level perhaps deserved a bit more consideration and trust in a situation such as this."

It seems like a sad way for Tonks' Yeovil career to finish. He was one of the first of the 'new breed' at the club, coming up through the ranks of the youth and reserve sides before making a first-team place his own, and as such served as a great example to the youngsters at the club, showing that it was possible to work their way through the ranks and onwards. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of his leaving Ciderspace wishes him the best of luck at Stockport. Tonks was a fine player for Yeovil Town, and while we're always glad to see YTFC players go on and better themselves he was one of the young players we hoped would take us through to the Football League - we're sorry to see him go, and wish that the manner of his leaving left less of a bitter taste. Let's be charitable and say he must have been very badly advised.

Back to Top of Page

Sat 21st September 2002
Glovers Draw Cheats Away in LDV Vans Trophy

Yeovil Town have been drawn away against Boston (Cheats) United in the 1st Round of the LDV Vans Trophy, the tie to be played during the week of 21st October. There will be a result on the night, if necessary the game will be settled by golden goal extra-time or a penalty shoot-out. The full draw is as follows (Conference sides in bold):

Northern Section
Chesterfield v Halifax
Shrewsbury v Morecambe
Stockport v Darlington
Scarborough v Doncaster Rovers
Scunthorpe v Blackpool
Lincoln v York
Southport v Leigh RMI
Port Vale v Hull City
Notts County v Wigan
Mansfield Town v Crewe
Tranmere Rovers v Hartlepool
Oldham v Carlisle
Wrexham v Huddersfield
Rochdale v Bury

Barnsley and Macclesfield receive byes to round two.

Southern Section
Exeter City v Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient v Peterborough
Torquay v Wycombe Wanderers
Swindon v Southend United
Cambridge v Rushden & Diamonds
Boston (Cheats) United v YEOVIL TOWN
Cheltenham v Colchester United
Hereford United v Northampton
Oxford United v Bournemouth
Woking v Luton Town
Dagenham & Redbridge v Kidderminster Harriers
Stevenage Borough v Swansea City
Chester City v Plymouth Argyle
QPR v Bristol City

Brentford and Cardiff City receive byes to round two.

Back to Top of Page

Fri 20th September 2002
Grass At Huish - What's That?

Training on the new pitch, 19/09/02. Photograph © Blue Mole & Ciderspace.
The team tries out the new pitch for the first time.

The team tried out the new pitch for the first time in a training session on Thursday. Looking closely one can see the slippers they were ordered to wear! Chris Giles and Steve Collis were back and trained with the rest of the squad. The only absentees from the run out were Adam Stansfield, Kim Grant, with a strained thigh, and Tom White (pictured below) who is recovering from his knee surgery.

Tom White, 19/09/02. Photograph © Blue Mole & Ciderspace.
Tom White, with knee scar from his recent surgery.

Meanwhile Sky are working away installing two gantries at Huish Park, one behind the away terrace and one on the roof of the Bartlett Stand, for next Tuesday's televised match against Woking.

Back to Top of Page

Fri 20th September 2002
Glovers Pay The Penalty In FA Youth Cup Defeat

Yeovil Town's Youth team were this week knocked out of the FA Youth Cup at the 2nd Qualifying Round stage by Cirencester Academy, the match going to extra time and then penalties. The young Glovers took the lead through a Carmen Notaro effort on 30 minutes and held the advantage until a Cirencester equaliser on 89 minutes. Extra time saw the Glovers take the lead from a Nick Jacobs strike, only for Cirencester to equalise again before Dean Ritchie put Yeovil ahead for a third time. The home side equalised again and the Glovers finished extra-time down to ten men and hanging on after Ritchie was sent off for a second bookable offence, 3-3 the final score. Yeovil keeper Luke Buckingham saved 2 penalties in the subsequent shootout but luck wasn't on the lads' side and Cirencester won through to the third round.

In other news the Glovers first team entertain Halifax Town at The Avenue tomorrow, the last time the team will play at Dorchester before the return to Huish Park and the televised game v Woking next Tuesday (24 Sept). In team news for tomorrow's match Yeovil will be without regular keeper Chris Weale who serves a one-match suspension following his recent red card in the game against Northwich, Jon Sheffield deputises. Michael McIndoe returns to the squad after missing Tuesday night's match at Hereford through suspension. It's hoped that Kim Grant will have recovered from the thigh/groin strain that has ruled him out of the last two matches. Halifax are expected to add new signing Michael Senior, a midfielder released by Huddersfield, to their squad; but otherwise will be unchanged from their last match, a 0-0 home draw with Chester.

Back to Top of Page

Wed 18th September 2002
Glovers Held By The Bulls

Yeovil Town and Hereford United shared the points at Edgar Street last night in a 0-0 draw, the Glovers 7th game in a row unbeaten. Both sides could point to chances to have won last night's match, but ultimately it was defences that came out on top in what was a reasonably entertaining game. A point gained or 3 points lost? Only time will tell on that but as old Granny Ciderspace used to say before she went mad: "Win your home games and draw away - you'll be promoted as sure as I'm wearing a frogmans wetsuit." It makes sense to us.

As usual various match reports can be found online, including the Nationwide Conference website's report and a completely bonkers effort from BBC Sport that appears to have been written by a very bitter Hereford fan. A more balanced effort is online from the Western Daily Press. From the Yeovil point of view the official site's match report, plus Gary's verdict on the game is now online; as is the Ciderspace match report, courtesy of Robin Evans.

Other results went Yeovil's way last night: Leaders Doncaster would be disappointed to draw 0-0 at home with 4th placed Southport, while 2nd placed Chester themselves failed to take advantage with a 0-0 draw at Halifax. No change at the top of the Conference table then, the Glovers remain 3rd, 2 points behind Doncaster.

Yeovil entertain Halifax at home this coming Saturday (21 Sept, 3pm), the game being the final match to be played at Dorchester's Avenue Stadium before the return to Huish Park in a week's time (Tues 24 Sept, 7.45pm) in the televised match versus Woking.

Back to Top of Page

Sun 15th September 2002
Westley Charged

The F.A. have brought two charges against Graham Westley: abusive language and improper conduct, after receiving the referee's match report from the game played at The Avenue on September 3rd. The Farnborough manager/chairman/owner has 14 days to respond. The Conference has also confirmed that it will investigate a complaint lodged by Yeovil Town, but will await the outcome of the hearing by F.A. compliance officer Graham Bean. The report from Yeovil has been passed by the Conference on to the F.A.

On a similar theme of disciplinary hearings the case against Steve Evans, suspended manager of Boston (Cheats) United, has been postponed. Evans has already pleaded guilty to four charges, and the hearing will consider another four and what sanctions if any should be imposed. The postponement is because co-defendent ex-Boston (Cheats) United chairman Pat Malkinson, who faces two charges, is variously on holiday or too unwell to attend, depending on which version you read.

Back to Top of Page

Sun 15th September 2002
Honours Even At Broadhall Way

Yeovil Town and Stevenage Borough shared the points at Broadhall Way yesterday afternoon in a 2-2 draw. The result stretches the Glovers unbeaten run to 6 games, but meant that they just failed to improve on their record of 5 consecutive wins in a row.

Stevenage shaded a fairly uneventful first half in which the Yeovil side were guilty of playing too many hopeful long balls and not enough passing, purposeful football. Boro went into the break 1-0 up, a 44th minute Kirk Jackson effort separating the sides. A far more entertaining second half saw a rejuvenated Glovers equalize through a Terry Skiverton header from a corner, only for Boro to go 2-1 up less than 60 seconds later, Kirk Jackson benefitting from defensive confusion. A rampant Abdoulai Demba scored the Glovers second on 65 minutes to make it 2-2 and despite both sides best efforts that was how the final score remained.

Various match reports are online, including those from the BBC Sport and Nationwide Conference websites. Reports from a Stevenage point of view can be found on the independent Boroguide site, and on the Official SBFC website. Fat Harry's report plus photos for the YTFC official site is now available, as is the Ciderspace match report, courtesy of Robin Evans, and suitably adorned by photos from Badger (check out the pic of Skivo's equalising goal, it's a beauty!). Last, but not least, YTFC fan Rob Mayor has put some photo's taken at yesterday's game online here.

The result leaves the Glovers still at 3rd place in the Conference table, 2 points behind leaders Doncaster, who didn't play yesterday but lost their unbeaten record at Halifax earlier in the week. Second placed Chester drew 0-0 at Hereford, Yeovil's next opponents. Fourth placed Southport lost 2-0 at Telford to remain 2 points behind the Glovers, all of which shows that there are no easy games in this league.

The Glovers travel to Wales next up (if Sky Sports says Hereford is in Wales then who are we to argue?), for their match versus Hereford on Tuesday evening. Former Bull Michael McIndoe is unfortunately suspended from the match, while Hereford's former Glover Ben Smith is still on the injured list after breaking his collarbone in the pre-season. However Hereford's other former Glover Jamie Pitman is expected to play, as is Yeovil's other former Bull Gavin Williams, who can be sure of a warm reception from Hereford's supporters. Kim Grant missed the Stevenage match with a slight thigh strain - it's not known as yet whether he'll be available for Tuesday's match.

Back to Top of Page

Thurs 12th September 2002
Coach Travel To Stevenage and Hereford

The Green and White Supporters' Club will be running coaches to this Saturday's Conference match at Stevenage Borough, leaving Yeovil Bus Station at 9.15am and from Huish Park at 9.30am. To book your seat phone George Coggen during the day on 01935-423662 ext 229, or during the evenings on 01935-420716 or his mobile 07803 110288.

The YTISA's coach is leaving the bus station at 8.30am sharp. At the time of writing they only have 2 spaces left - contact chairman Mark Kelly on 01935-412236 or 07719 733750.

The G&WSC will be running transport to Hereford next Tuesday (17 Sept, 7.45pm kick-off), contact George Coggen, details as above, to book a place.

Back to Top of Page

Thurs 12th September 2002
FA: We Wanted Cheats To Stay Down

Today's Yeovil Express reports on the reply from the Football Association to the letter written to them by Yeovil MP David Laws protesting about the inadequate punishment imposed on Boston (Cheats) United following the club's admission of cheating to win last season's Conference championship. The MP described the independent inquiry's imposition of a £100,000 fine and the deduction of four points from this season's total as "nothing short of sanctioning a Cheat's Charter."

In it's reply, from the FA's director of corporate and legal affairs, Nic Coward, the FA claim that they proposed to the independent inquiry that an appropriate punishment would have meant that any points deducted should have applied to last season's total - hence Boston would have remained in the Conference and Dagenham and Redbridge - who missed out on the title on goal difference - would have taken their place in the Football League.

Mr Coward said: "It was the FA's view that it would have been appropriate for the deduction of points from Boston to have been effective for last season. Indeed, the FA proposed this sanction during the course of the disciplinary hearing. As you will appreciate, the FA in cases such as this act as the `prosecutor' before an independent jury. Human rights legislation requires that members of a FA Disciplinary Commission are truly independent. On this occasion, the Commission took a different view from that of the FA and decided that the penalty of the deduction of points should take effect during the current season."

In other news from today's local press the Western Gazette reports that the Glovers have turned to local referee Andy Perlejewski for advice and assistance after the recent rash of red and yellow cards handed out to Yeovil players - 2 reds and 13 yellows from 7 games so far this season. Speaking to the Gazette, Perlejewski, a Football League assistant referee for the last 8 years, said: "The League said it would be a good idea for referees to go into clubs and talk to the players to give them a bit of advice on the rules and how to stop them collecting too many cautions. So I offered my services to Yeovil manager Gary Johnson and he invited me to come in."

Speaking in general terms about refeeering in the Conference Perlejewski said: "In the Conference the referees have got to be technically correct because the next step for them is the Football League which is where every official wants to be. In the first year the refs do get quite a hard time from their superiors but if you can referee in the Conference then you can referee at League standard. The Conference is the hardest standard to officiate in because there are no easy games."

Yeovil assistant-manager Steve Thompson said: "The meeting helped clear up a few misconceptions about certain rules. There was also a bit of psychology as well regarding the referee and how to get on the right side of him as a player with your attitude and the way you talk to him. I do not think we have had too many bookings this season. I know we have had a few in the last two games and the two red cards but if you look at those dismissals one of them can happen anytime, anywhere and has nothing to do with discipline - that was the incident with Chris Weale."

"What we do not tolerate," Thommo emphasised, "And what we do actually fine, are bookings for dissent because they are a lack of self-control and not something which happens in the game. There are certain players we have to work hard with to control their tempers. We can see it from the sidelines as the fans probably see it and we have to do as much as we can off the pitch. Other players are also very important and there has been a couple of times this season where Terry Skiverton has told people to calm down. But there is certainly no disciplinary problem."

The Glovers are expecting to make two signings imminently - striker Howard Forinton is expected to sign a month-to-month contract, while youth team left-back Steve Reed will be offered a professional contract. The Glovers have lost one youth team star this week however - promising striker Dan Bulley has been snapped up by Plymouth Argyle on a 2-year contract. In team news for Saturday's clash at Stevenage, defender Anthony Tonkin may return to the squad following his recent back injury. Long-term injured Tom White and Adam Stansfield are the only definite absentees.

Back to Top of Page

Wed 11th September 2002
Coming Home - Shortly

The second week in September. Photograph © Blue Mole & Ciderspace.
The pitch is close to ready.

The second week in September. Photograph © Blue Mole & Ciderspace.
Football's coming home, it's coming home.........

The latest pictures of the Huish Park pitch. We are close to a return. The club is expected to announce this Friday whether the first match on the new surface will be against Halifax Town on the 21st, or three days later against Woking live on Sky.

Back to Top of Page

Mon 9th September 2002
Reaction To The Win Against Northwich

Glovers boss Gary Johnson, club captain Terry Skiverton and striker Kim Grant were interviewed by Mike Kay of Radio Bristol following Saturday's 2-1 win against Northwich Victoria.

Michael McIndoe in action against the Vics
Michael McIndoe in action against the Vics
Photo © 2002 Ciderspace
Gary Johnson on Skivo's opening goal:
"Top scorer! He's doing well isn't he? We've talked about it before - we leave our defenders up there on occasions, but the corner itself was a quality corner and it was a great bit of play by the two lads. Terry was free and he just had to get some part of his body on it. Now Terry is on three, he is so determined to get more goals, he's not going to let anything get past him. It hit his thigh, I think, and went in. That was a good goal for us - we deserved it as we were playing well at that time."

Terry Skiverton:
"It's very important for us to get off to a good start. Early on in the season we were conceding early goals so it's important for us to be attacking, getting in crosses and shots as well as being tight at the back. It's been looking good lately and I think the manager is very pleased with the results. It's a thing that we do work on and I think that the gaffer is a lot more pleased with the centre-halves and the centre-forwards in terms of what we are doing with corners, free kicks and set plays. We didn't score that many last year and it's something that that we've worked on hard, and it is something that is really coming to fruition."

Skivo on the Vics equaliser:
"It was strange conditions today - it was very windy out there and Adam Lockwood just misjudged a header and it came down and to be fair the Northwich lad hit a great shot from distance. Chris Weale was unsighted and there was nothing really he could do. But I think the way the team is feeling at the minute, we are never beaten and that even if teams do come back at us, we are not going to panic and I think we played some really good football today."

Gary Johnson:
"We'd had so much of the play, something like that was always going to happen. Even when Northwich got their equaliser, we'd had so many half chances, we'd played some great football but sometimes if you don't get two goals up when you're playing good football, the other team just sit and wait for an opportunity and they end up taking chances from 35 yards that end up beating us."

Skivo on Kim Grant's winning goal:
"I was right behind Kim on that one, ready to put in another header! But I was pleased that he got off the mark. He's not really started this season, he's had a couple of injuries, but fair play to him because he's worked really hard. People don't realise it, but he's been working through the mornings and the afternoons, getting his fitness and his sharpness ready and I think he's deserved his chance."

Kim Grant: "I've just come back from injury, but my fitness is getting better. Unfortunately, the gaffer had to make a substitution after Wealey came off. But I was happy with the goal and I was happy with my performance. Initially I thought the ball was going to scoop back over the bar, but luckily the defender hit it into the roof of the net!"

Gary on the sending off/penalty:
"We were a bit sloppy when we came out for the second half and that led to the penalty. Blundell was very clever and experienced. He touched it and put his foot on Wealey's body and went down. But Sheff has been working himself into the ground during every training session and he was ready. He hasn't dropped his head - he's waited and waited. He's worked hard with Chris Weale and Steve Collis and that save epitomised for me all that Sheff is. He was ready. Now it could have gone in the other corner and no-one would have mentioned anything, but I think you make your own luck and with Sheff's hard work over the past few months, he has earnt that penalty save."

Nick Crittenden gets first to a ball as he puts in a cross against the Vics
Nick Crittenden gets first to a ball as he puts in a cross against the Vics
Photo © 2002 Ciderspace
Kim Grant:
"Sheff has been on the bench for quite a long time. But the whole team, including those on the bench, are all focussed on the game. Sheff came on and made a great save. It was unlucky for Wealey because I didn't think it was a penalty but it goes like that sometimes. But Sheff made sure he was bright and alert and he came on and saved the day."

Terry Skiverton:
"The Northwich lad has done well to get the penalty. I don't really want to comment on it, but the referee has made his decision and it's just one of those things. We know that we played with ten men against Farnborough, who were a very physical team and a very fit team and we held out against them. So there was no reason why we couldn't hold out against Northwich, because they weren't causing us as many problems as Farnborough did, in terms of the balls coming into the box, and they weren't a particularly big team. I was just glad that Jimmy Quinn didn't bring himself on because he's very good in the air."

Gary Johnson:
"When Northwich played Halifax, they scored a couple of goals when Halifax when down to ten men and then got a couple more when Halifax went down to nine. So they are quite comfortable about playing against teams who have gone down by a couple of players. But we worked so hard, and Gavin and Macca were clever enough to keep possession when they got on the ball. In fact we even had a couple of chances with ten men. That's twice we've had to do that now and that time was a long period. We showed out fitness again, and kept getting our foot in on those tackles and other than the penalty save, Sheff hardly had to make another save. Obviously with us down to ten men, we didn't feel that they would get too many chances, but we didn't want to lose two points either. We wanted to win the game and pick up all three. We've got a Yeovil spirit here both on the field and off the field and if you are going to do well in this league, these are the sort of games where that spirit has to come out, and thank God it did!"

Kim Grant:
"We've come forward a lot since last year. We're a lot more solid both up front and in defence. I think we're looking very strong, and even those on the bench and the fans in the crowd knew we weren't going to lose that game. Hopefully we will use these results and take the form back to Huish Park and continue the form. We've got a great belief in the team. We're determined not to lose games, we've set ourselves targets and we want to break those targets."

Terry Skiverton:
"The boys are feeling quite tired now after two games in a week of going down to ten men. But we've got a full week to recover now and the way the boys have been looking after themselves, they can enjoy this week and get ourselves ready for next Saturday. It's been a good atmosphere here [Dorchester], and you could hear at half time, the crowd were all having a go at Michael McIndoe because of the Scotland result and you can tell from that the fans are all happy and that everything is good at the moment. This time last year there was uproar because results weren't going for us. So it's good that we can all see the jolly side of things at the moment. The supporters have been magnificent and have really been behind us and to keep travelling down to Dorchester is excellent for us."

Gary Johnson on the impending suspensions:
"When you have a squad, you tend not to worry about that. I don't know how many Chris gets yet, but Macca will just miss the one game and it will be another man's chance to go out and prove himself. But every time we've had to make a chance so far, people have come in and coped. The substitutes know they will get their chance, and when it does come, they've got to be ready - and I'm pleased that Sheff was."

Back to Top of Page

Sun 8th September 2002
Westley Saga Rumbles On

The disgraceful behaviour of Farnborough Town's manager, chairman and owner Graham Westley at The Avenue last Tuesday night continues to make the news. In an episode that had nearly two and a half thousand people watching open mouthed, Westley was first red-carded by the referee for abusing one of the match officials, then engaged in a lengthy struggle with stewards up in the mainstand, after which he was escorted from the ground by the police.

Yeovil Town F.C. have submitted a complaint about Westley's behaviour to the Conference, and this has now been passed on to the F.A. An unnamed spokesman said it was regarded as a "very serious incident" at F.A. headquarters, and they were waiting to see what was in the referee's match report before proceeding.

In the meantime Yeovil Town has been asked to present a report on the club's safety procedures as it is believed that Westley has lodged his own complaint about the safety regulations in place at The Avenue. Yeovil Town chairman John Fry spoke out about the amazing scenes occasioned by Westley's behaviour:

I have never seen that sort of behaviour in a directors' box in all my life. We have acted in a most professional manner, and our players and manager behaved in a proper manner throughout. Mr Westley doesn't seem to understand right from wrong, and we have given the Conference all the information necessary to judge the situation.

No one can accuse us of poor standards off the field as very few Third Division teams can match what we spend on safety procedures. We can't have people challenging the actions of stewards as they are in charge of safety in the ground, and we take public safety very seriously. Mr Westley was in breach of safety regulations when he stood up at the front of the directors' box in a restricted area, and was politely asked to sit down. When he refused to do so action was taken, and the police were called to ask him to leave the ground. People get passionate during a game, but a person who takes up a responsible position as a director of a football club must behave in a responsible manner.

In a radio interview on Tuesday night after the match Westley claimed that there was "no reason" for his eviction from the ground, and demanded a replay as the team had been deprived of his managerial leadership - something of an advantage to Farnborough rather than a cause for complaint surely?! It has come to our attention that this is not the first time Westley has made such demands, with Scarborough suffering from his inflated sense of self-importance last season when they inadvertantly fielded an ineligble player for a few minutes and Westley was calling for a replay. Points deductions have been the accepted penalty for such infringements for as long as we can remember, but presumably Westley believed completely different rules should apply to himself and his club.

Since that radio interview Westley has been silent in public, and Farnborough Town has only issued "no comment" statements to all enquiries.

Back to Top of Page

Sun 8th September 2002
Ciderspace Fans Forum - The Return!

It's with a certain amount of relief that we can announce that the Ciderspace Fans Forum is back online. As regular users will already know, the original Surreysystems forum went offline last Wednesday after a serious systems crash at the hosting company, Beepweb. Despite many promises to the contrary there was no sign that the Beepweb service was on the way to being restored, so we've made the switch to hosting our own forum on the same server that Ciderspace operates from, hosted by Fasthosts, who (touch wood!) we have found very reliable.

Bear in mind that because we've only recently set the new forum up, are still tweaking it and it is only now being linked into the Ciderspace site properly, so things may be a touch unpredictable on the forum itself for the next few days. Please log all comments, queries etc on the board itself, or if that's not possible email us at the usual address.

Once again, our sincere apologies for the lack of a forum on this site over the last few days. Hopefully the new forum will prove as popular and be more durable and faster than the old one was.

Back to Top of Page

Sun 8th September 2002
Ten Men, We Only Need Ten Men

The Glovers finished a Conference game a man short for the second match in succession at The Avenue yesterday after goalkeeper Chris Weale was sent off early in the second half of Yeovil's hard-fought 2-1 win over Northwich Victoria, having been adjudged by referee Mr Williams to have committed a professional foul on the Vic's Gregg Blundell. Substitute keeper Jon Sheffield became an instant hero when he saved the subsequent spot-kick, and the Glovers showed great determination and steel to keep out the visitors for the remainder of the game.

All the goals came in the first half: Terry Skiverton put Yeovil 1-0 up on 20 minutes after a well-worked short corner routine involving Lee Johnson and Michael McIndoe, but the Vics were level - rather against the run of play - ten minutes later from a 20-yard Jon Allan piledriver. Kim Grant restored the Glovers lead with what turned out to be the winner with a header from a McIndoe corner five minutes before the break.

Various match reports can be found online, including the usual efforts from the BBC Sport website and the Nationwide Conference site. The Ciderspace match report is online, as are reports from both club's official sites, and

Five wins out of the last five matches for the Glovers then - a run of form that has propelled them up to third place in the Conference table, still three points behind leaders Doncaster who demolished pre-season favourites Dagenham 5-1 at Belle Vue in a televised match yesterday. Second placed Chester beat Leigh RMI 2-1 at the Deva Stadium to remain 1 point ahead of Yeovil. The Glovers have a week's break now before their next match - away to Stevenage next Saturday (17 Sept). The YTISA will be running a bus to Broadhall Way leaving the bus station at 8.30am - anybody that wants to go please phone chairman Mark Kelly on 01935 412236 or mobile 07719733750.

What with Chris Weale being sent off yesterday and on-loan keeper Steve Collis being sent off while playing for Tiverton last week, Yeovil could face a mini-keeper-crisis in the scheduled Conference game v Halifax on Sat 21 September. At present Weale's one-match suspension will be for the Halifax game, as will Collis's - unless the on-loan keeper is still at Tiverton for Tivvy's midweek game at Halesowen on Wed 17 September, in which case Collis's suspension will apply to that game. If not it raises the possibility of Yeovil playing Halifax with only one recognised keeper - Jon Sheffield - in the squad, unless either of the Youth Team goalkeepers, Luke Buckingham or Richard Akers is drafted in. The other of Yeovil's suspended trio, Michael McIndoe, will miss his return to Edgar Street on the 17th September, when the Glovers travel to Hereford.

Back to Top of Page

Sat 7th September 2002
Ciderspace Fans Forum

Once again, our apologies for the continuing absence of the Ciderspace Forum. As you are probably already aware, the hosting company for surreysystems forums, Beepweb, suffered a major systems failure on Wednesday and are still working to repair the problem - the latest deadline broken by them for getting back online was midnight last night. Accordingly we are now trialling a new, independent forum which we hope to have online as soon as possible over the next 24 hours. Sorry for the delays folks, and thanks for your patience while we sort out the problems.

Back to Top of Page

Fri 6th September 2002
White Faces Knee Operation

Glovers defender Tom White is to undergo an exploratory operation on his troublesome knee next Monday after a scan failed to pinpoint any specific problem. "There's no way I can play at the moment with the knee how it is," White told the Western Daily Press. "Hopefully the operation will clear it up. It might just need a tidy up or it might need something else doing but we won't know until they go in."

White and long-term injured Adam Stanfield will both obviously be missing from the squad to play Northwich Victoria at The Avenue on Saturday; but Yeovil are hopeful that Anthony Tonkin, who missed the 2-0 win over Farnborough with a back problem, and Howard Forinton, who missed the second half of the same game with a badly gashed forehead, will both be fit. Tonks was due to see a specialist about his back problem today (Friday).

Glovers boss Gary Johnson has praised his team following Tuesday night's rugged encounter with Farnborough. Speaking to the Bristol Evening Post Johnson said: "We weren't going to lie down and be intimidated. Farnborough were desperate to get the three points and I was proud of the way my lads handled themselves. They proved they are not a soft touch."

The Glovers Youth Team are through to the 1st Round of the FA Youth Cup after having defeated Chippenham Town 3-1 at Hardenhuish Park in the Preliminary Round. The club's press release reads:

"Without playing well Yeovil created numerous chances and dominated the game. After 28 minutes and, having missed quite a few chances, Yeovil finally took the lead with Sam Vine scoring an impressive goal.Dan Bulley had further chances to increase the Yeovil lead before the impressive Steven Reed scored with a left foot volley.It was 2-0 at half time but could have been 6 or 7 such was Yeovil's dominance.

"The second half was a bit of an anticlimax with neither side playing that well, but Yeovil still kept on creating chances.Dean Ritchie hit the cross-bar with a 25yd. rocket and Ian Patchet firing wide.Yeovil went 3-0 up when from a set-piece. Steven Reed curled a left foot shot round the keeper.Chippenham had their best spell in the last 15 minutes and scored a deserved consolation goal with 5 minutes left."

The young Glovers now go on to play either Cirencester or Bitton, date yet to be announced.

Back to Top of Page

Thurs 5th September 2002
Forinton Set To Sign?

Striker Howard Forinton is on the verge of signing permanently for the club - according to reports in this week's local press. The Western Gazette claims that the prolific goalscorer will sign on a month-to-month basis, chairman John Fry saying: "With the striker position Gary [Johnson] obviously wants to strengthen the squad. He respects the restrictions with the budget but with the injury to Adam Stansfield he had to look at it."

"Gary is in the process of negotiations with the board and the player,"Fry continued. "We love the player - he is a very big favourite with the fans - but we have got a budget which we have exceeded but at the same time we have a job to do. If he is going to be signing, initially it will probably be on a month-to-month basis because we have a long-term commitment here and we would obviously like to help Gary with the situation. It will be resolved within the next week."

As for Gary Johnson he had this to say to the Gazette about the Forinton situation: "The greatest thing at the moment is we have looked after him and he is working as hard as he can and he wants to play for this club. He is not just looking to use us and move on. In his own words it is the happiest he has been for a long while."

In other news it seems that the club is on target to return to Huish Park in time for the visit of the Sky TV cameras in the televised home game versus Woking on Tuesday 27 September, kick-off 7.45pm. Pitch consultant Justin Smith told the Gazette: "We were pushed for time because originally we were allowing 14 weeks for seeding for the first game of the season but unfortunately we had a lot of rain in June which put us back three weeks. But it really is coming on fantastically so I hope by three weeks today (24 Sept) it should be playable. Ideally it would have been nice to give it another four weeks but life is not like that. You are not going to have any drainage or seed problems although it is a very high-maintenance pitch. We are trying to take Yeovil from a Conference-type pitch to a League-standard surface." The Glovers are of course due to entertain Halifax Town at home on Saturday 24 September - at present there has been no word from the club whether the game will take place at Dorchester's Avenue Stadium or at Huish Park.

Farnborough manager/owner Graham Westley has been reported to the Conference board following the disgraceful scenes at The Avenue on Tuesday night (see report below). Yeovil chairman John Fry, speaking to the Gazette, said: "The incidents happened because the officials on the pitch weren't strong enough. Our players and manager behaved in the proper manner throughout but a report has gone to the Conference board about the actions taken by their [Farnborough's] manager. We cannot have people challenging the actions of stewards, they are in charge of safety at the ground. If that was a normal spectator acting like that they would have been dealt with severely. We are taking action."

Former Glovers boss Colin Addison is back in charge of a Conference club. The man who picked up the pieces after Dave Webb's shock resignation and led the club to 2nd place in the table, our highest-ever Conference finish, has been appointed manager of Forest Green Rovers after former boss Nigel Spink was sacked following Rovers poor start to the season. Ciderspace wishes Addo the best of luck in his new job at The Lawn - except when his side plays us, of course.

The Yeovil Express FAST (Fund A Scanner Today) Appeal stands to be around £2,500 better off thanks to the efforts of five walkers who successfully completed a 23-mile charity walk on Tuesday. Express chief reporter Steve Sowden was joined by Mark Grose, Dave Lewis, James Wootten and Ben Evans on the walk from Yeovil Town FC's Huish Park ground to the Avenue Stadium, Dorchester, in time for the Glovers' Nationwide Conference match with Farnborough that evening.

All money raised from the sponsored walk will now go towards the appeal to help Yeovil District Hospital's bone density unit buy a much-needed scanner to be used in the diagnosis of osteoporosis. It took the group a total of six-and-a-half hours walking time, they marched 44,182 steps individually, walked at 3.12-miles per hour and burnt off around 1,723 calories each. And even though they were shattered by the time they arrived at the Avenue Stadium at around 4pm they were delighted and proud to have completed the walk - and their efforts were rewarded when Yeovil Town later won 2-0.

Express man Steve said: "I told the Yeovil Town manager Gary Johnson before the game started that his side better win - especially after we'd walked all that way to watch them! But we were really pleased to have done it. I was completely exhausted come the end and the last five or six miles were dreadful - it seemed like an eternity and I was getting more and more tired. But I kept going and was rewarded when I got to Dorchester's ground because they very kindly opened the bar early for us!"

Now the group has the job of collecting in the sponsorship money pledged to them and hope that they might even be able to get more cash following their commendable efforts. Steve added: "All in all I think we should be looking at raising around £2,500 through the walk which I think is a tremendous effort by us. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has sponsored us. Your sponsorship really helped to spur us on - even though I contemplated giving up at some points especially when I thought my feet were going to drop off!"

Finally, the Yeovil Town Independent Supporters' Association has been busy again, donating some new training equipment to the Glovers. Association chairman Mark Kelly presented the equipment to Yeovil Town manager Gary Johnson on Thursday during one of their training sessions at Sherborne.

All money raised by the association goes back to the club to help buy equipment and accessories and only recently a cheque for £1,000 was presented to Yeovil chairman and chief executive John Fry towards the cost of a new industrial washing machine for the Nationwide Conference outfit.

Back to Top of Page

Thurs 5th September 2002
Ciderspace Fans Forum

Many apologies for the continuing absence of the Ciderspace Forum - the company that hosts the forum has suffered a major systems failure. The hosting company, Beepweb, initially said that the forum would be back online last night (Wednesday evening) though in the event this obviously didn't happen. We are now hoping that the forum will return online later today.

Back to Top of Page

Wed 4th September 2002
Gavin Williams: August's Internet Player Of The Month

Gavin Williams prepares to bamboozle yet another hapless defender - thank's Hereford!
Gavin Williams prepares to bamboozle yet another hapless defender - thank's Hereford!
Photo © 2002 Ciderspace

New signing Gavin Williams is August's Internet Player of the Month. The Welsh semi-pro international comfortably held-off the challenge from former Hereford teammate Michael McIndoe and Glovers skipper Terry Skiverton, being voted Man of the Match twice last month and figuring high in the votes in the other matches played. The full results are:

Player Score
Gavin Williams 459
Michael McIndoe 376
Terry Skiverton 371
Andy Lindegaard 245
Abdoulai Demba 199

Back to Top of Page

Wed 4th September 2002
Johnson's Reaction: It Was Eventful!

Yeovil boss Gary Johnson has given his reaction to yesterday's explosive 2-0 win over Farnborough. Speaking to Radio Bristol's Phil Tottle Gary said, "It was eventful, that's for sure! Controversy follows Graham [Westley] around, and he lost it. But at the end of the day, I'm only worried about my team, that's the important thing. I thought we were very professional today and we had to be. They put little bits of paper in our dressing room that said that they needed the three points more than we did and that they were going to fight for them a lot more than us. You have to take that on the chin - we knew they were going to come at us and we just had to make sure that we defended properly. Then after defending properly we had to make sure we took a couple of chances.

"That was a big win for us today. Obviously we need a lot of space between us and these sorts of teams. To be fair, they've got some decent players and they are going to be dangerous, so from that point of view it was a very decent result and I just thought that was a very professional performance today.

"Farnborough's players are super. They've got some very good players and I think they will turn over a few teams. On the park I think they are very professional."

Asked to comment specifically on the incident involving Farnborough boss Graham Westley, Johnson said, "I can't get involved in that - that's up to somebody else to state their case. I was more worried about the people on the pitch.

"It was a bit petty for a little while. There were a few yellow cards that might not have been yellow cards and then in the end someone would have got sent off. It [the sending off] is just something that's happened and it probably just made us concentrate that little bit more in the last 10 or 15 minutes.

"They were just going to bomb on - they had four strikers on who were going to try and hit early crosses. Although we rode our luck once or twice we were very professional."

Speaking about Howard Forinton's first half disallowed goal Johnson said: "That was the most disappointing part of today. We wanted to get that early goal in front of our home fans, that was important to us. When you've worked hard at a free kick and it comes off for you and for whatever reason the referee says somebody pushed somebody, it's disappointing. When there are 20 or 21 people inside that penalty area there is always going to be something. They didn't moan and we were already off on our celebration but the referee saw something that was worthy of disallowing the goal.

"Howard has quite a big gash and when I went in there at half time, I knew that I couldn't put him back on the field because the cut was too big and was in an area where it would have opened up again if he had headed the ball.

"We created a fair number of goalscoring opportunities and I'm very grateful to Critts and Lee for those two goals. I know the sending off made for a big finish, but when you're two goals up they've got to do a lot to come back."

Back to Top of Page

Wed 4th September 2002
Here Are The Results: Yeovil 2 Farnborough 0, Stewards 4 Westley 0,

It's a job to know where to start to talk about the events at last night's eventful match at The Avenue, but seeing as this is supposed to be a football site let's begin with that: The Glovers picked up their fourth win on the trot last night, beating a useful-looking Farnborough side by two goals to nil.

It all kicked off after a pretty uneventful first half had finished goalless, the only talking point being a Howard Forinton header which beat the fearsomely-shorn ex-Yeovil hero Tony Pennock in the Farnborough goal being disallowed, apparently for offside. Nick Crittenden put the Glovers 1-0 up on 56 minutes, his powerful drive from wide on the right being deflected in off a defender, though the winger was rightly credited with the goal. Lee Johnson put Yeovil in a relative comfort zone on 72 minutes when after some good work by Demba the midfielder's somewhat mis-hit shot wrong-footed Pennock to put the Glovers 2-0 up. The sending-off of Michael McIndoe for a second bookable offence by the frustratingly inconsistent referee, Mr R Lee of Brentwood, meant that Yeovil had to withstand a lot of late pressure from the visitors, but a combination of good defending and profligate finishing meant that the Glovers kept their second clean sheet in a row and the three points.

The biggest talking-point of the evening however concerned the behaviour of Farnborough manager/chairman/owner Graham Westley. Long known as an, er, volatile character, Westley was sent off from the dugout by the referee in the 57th minute, presumably for something he said. Westley then went to take a place in the Main Stand from where he attempted to continue to direct his team's play, standing in a seated area in contravention of health and safety rules as well as blocking the view of spectators behind him. After repeatedly being asked by stewards to sit down an altercation broke out, the police were called and eventually Westley was removed from the ground. It's unclear what happened after that but what is certain is that if an ordinary fan had behaved as Farnborough's chairman did last night then not only would that fan have been kicked out of the ground but he would now be looking at a lengthy ban as well. Westley's behaviour whilst being hilarious in its stupidity could have had serious consequences if supporters had copied him - one could only imagine what would have happened if, for example, Westley's equivalent at Cardiff or Millwall behaved in such a manner...... The FA should throw the book at him.

Twelve points out of the last twelve on offer to the Glovers then who move up to fourth place in the Conference table, and all without really firing on all cylinders yet which must bode well for the rest of the season. Various match reports are online, including the usual offerings from the Nationwide Conference site and the BBC. Two independent Farnborough views of the game can be read on the FTOW website and on the PTWFTWITW website. Noddy Elms' Ciderspace match report is also now online.

Injury news: Anthony Tonkin missed last night's game with a back problem, it's not known yet whether he'll be fit for Saturday. Howard Forinton was taken off at half-time after receiving a gashed forehead for which he eventually received eight stitches - he will be fit to play on Saturday but may have to wear a bandage over the wound. The Glovers entertain Northwich Victoria at The Avenue this weekend, kick-off 3pm.

Back to Top of Page

Tues 3rd September 2002
Kettering MOTM Result

Player MOTM Score
Terry Skiverton 13 770
Chris Weale 4 300
Gavin Williams 3 230
Lee Johnson - 140
Darren Way - 120
Michael McIndoe - 70
Howard Forinton - 70
Anthony Tonkin - 60
Adam Lockwood - 20

Overall match rating: 5.5/10
Performance: 5.6
Entertainment: 5.3

20 votes received.

Back to Top of Page

Tues 3rd September 2002
Skivo Reveals His Scoring Touch

Club captain Terry Skiverton has spoken to BBC Radio Bristol about his last gasp winner for the Glovers at Kettering on Saturday that saw the Glovers come out as 1-0 winners.

"It wasn't one of our better performances, admitted Skiverton. "But we've got a never-say-die attitude and we kept working. It was one of those games where last season or the season before, we would have probably lost - they would have gone down the other end."

"The manager has been absolutely hammering me, saying that I don't get onto enough corners and free kicks. I'm quite dominant in my own box, and the manager has been saying that I should get on a lot more in the opposing box. It's got to be a mental thing, because how can you win everything in your own box yet not win that much in the other box? So I've been working on that and it's come good for me. It was a great ball in by Lee Johnson - it was one of those crosses that was begging 'head me in'. It's nice to be top scorer at the club at the moment!."

"It's the third time in a row that I've been to Kettering and scored. So it's quite a lucky ground for me now. I even said to the manager before we came here that I was going to score!"

Carl Alford and Gary Johnson danced for joy when Skiverton's goal hit the back of the net as the two enjoyed their victory over their former club. And for the whole team, it the last minute winner was a welcome way to lay rest to some ghosts from two years previous.

"They beat us here 2-1 two seasons ago, and that sort of rocked us on our championship run-in, explained Skiverton. "So it was nice for us to put one back on them. It's always good to win, but it's also good for your manager and for one of our players to come back and win at their old club."

Back to Top of Page

Sun 1st September 2002
Adam Stansfield receives Internet Award

Adam plucks out the half time draw, and thankfully didn't fall over!
Adam plucks out the half time draw, and thankfully didn't fall over!
Photo © 2002 Ciderspace
He may be in plaster and on crutches, but that doesn't seem to have stopped Yeovil Town striker Adam Stansfield from picking up more awards for his performances. At half time Monday's Bank Holiday's 3-2 win over Nuneaton Borough, the club clearly thought that Adam wasn't doing enough for his weekly wage and so got him to hobble down the stairs to do the half time draw.

Fortuntely, Adam was allowed to return with something of worth - the Yeovil Town Internet Supporters Player Of The Season trophy for the 2001/02 season. The award was presented to Adam by the prettier members of HHH's family - namely Helen and Kate Gleave.

The award was derived from voting made by Yeovil Town supporters on the Internet throughout the whole of last season. Voting is made on a per-match basis and Glovers supporter Paul Chesterman collates the votes together.

To vote on any of the games use the on-line voting form by clicking here or by e-mail to remembering to include your Man of the Match 1-2-3, and two match ratings (performance 1-5 and entertainment 1-5) plus any comments on the match. Results of each match are published on both this news page and also the Ciderspace Mailing List.

Adam Stansfield is presented with his trophy by Kate and Helen Gleave
Adam Stansfield is presented with his trophy by Kate and Helen Gleave
Photo © 2002 Ciderspace

Back to Top of Page

Sun 1st September 2002
Plucky Poppies Cruelly Denied

Plucky would-be giant-killers Kettering Town went home to Rockingham Road yesterday and put on a brave show of defiance against Premiership outfit Yeovil Town. After battling against insuperable odds for 90 minutes the Poppies hearts were broken when Glovers skipper and current England international Terry Skiverton stole in to convert one of the Premiership giants' few chances and give the visitors a barely-deserved win against the plucky Conference minnows. Brave Kettering put 10 men behind the ball from the start of the game to try to contain the much-vaunted Yeovil attack, and with several of the Rockingham Road crowd roaring their team on, set out to restrain and frustrate their illustrious visitors from Somerset. That they so nearly succeeded in keeping a point at home only to be denied by an injury-time winner was bitter gall to their magnificent fans, one of whom was quoted yesterday as saying "I dont think the time wasting is intentional......" With such tactics and ambition shown at Rockingham Road yesterday a 0-0 draw is surely only one more match away. Well done Poppies!

Ahem, that's enough of that. Various match reports of yesterday's proceedings can be found online including two reports from the BBC and the Nationwide Conference site which are almost as risible as the effort above, plus a rather more accurate representation of events on the club's official site. An independent Kettering version of the match is online here. Rob Mayor has again taken dozens of photos of the game and the Glovers support at Rockingham Road - click here to view his handiwork.

Three wins in a row then, the result moving the Glovers up to 7th in the table, 3 points behind new leaders Doncaster, who won 2-1 at Northwich yesterday. Yeovil next entertain Farnborough, 1-0 victors over much fancied Dagenham yesterday, at The Avenue this coming Tuesday evening, kick-off 7.45pm.

Back to Top of Page

For current news direct from the club go to the official site news page.

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.

This Page Written By Jon Morgan/Hugh Gleave/Martin Baker
©Ciderspace 1999-2002
Last Updated 1st September 2002

Sends Mail To Ciderspace